TechSpot

Installing Windows XP Pro,Home ETC

By Brendannaidoo
Jun 12, 2007
  1. Hi All.

My windows crashed and I had to reinstall xp but after configuring my partitions etc when the pc needs to restart it goes to a black screen and comes up with an error" NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt." Please Help.

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

If you configured your partitions after installing the OS the chances are that you have trashed the installation. Otherwise maybe the drive is u/s which is why your windows crashed in the first place.

3. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

Run the appropriate Hard Drive Diagnostic - ie Seagate, Western Digital to check the drive. Here's 2 links, Google if it's something else.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1

If no errors, you'll have to try loading Windows again.

If errors, take the Drive back to where you got it - if it's under warranty -, or throw it out.

You could try setting it as a Slave and seeing if you can retrieve any data off it before you return it/throw it out.

4. Brendannaidoo

Brendannaidoo TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for info. With regards to my partitions i only use one partition per hard drive. Thats why I got 3 hard drives. Im gonna try and use another HDD and see what happens. Jeez for a sec there i was thinking motherboard.

5. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

Double check your Jumpers if you've changed Drives / Cables or reset the BIOS

Good Luck

6. Brendannaidoo

The drive that i am installing to is a SATAII hard drive. But when i go home im gonna try my IDE drive. Thanks im gonna need it.

7. Brendannaidoo

Thanks guys for all the help. It worked like a charm. I used Hirens Boot Cd in conjunction with HDD Regenerator my SATAII hard drive is now repaired and ready for action.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.