Installing windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now i have fixed my boot disk problem. I start up windows boot from cd, click f6 to install the drivers. I select the appropriate driver from the floppy drive, then it says loading file at the bottom and then all of a sudden it shuts off, but it doesn't shut of the screen turns off and everything inside is still working.

Could i get some more help please?

How long have you let it set when the screen shuts off?

Also, what are you loading windows on that is making you install the drivers for? Do you have a raid controller or something?

How do you know everything inside is still working? You talking about like your lights and fans are still on? Or do you think XP is still there in the background waiting for you?

Are you sure you even need to run the third party driver? Windows and many motherboards already have universal drivers that run most anything. Try it and see.

--Jers

By everything is working i mean all the fans and lights are on. And i am installing a sata drive and windows does not have the drivers for it. My motherboard supports it and it is set up in the bios, but windows does not ahve a driver for it. Also a new development it doesn't always do that somtimes it just shuts off (after i click the driver i want) or (after i click the driver i want) it freezes in the windows install screen.

Everything in the computer is brand new except the floppy drive which is god know how old. Probably from 97 or something, I have 2 both from really old comps of mine, so maybe the floppy drive is defective?

When i just leave it to set up windows without pressing f6 at the beggining, it get to the point where it says starting up windows and then it randomly turns off again like it did before.

i pulled out a different drive and a diferent disk and it started working... However i left it to install windows and when i left it was loading the exact same file as when i came back. So now there is a problem with it freezing in the middle (at the beggining) of windows setup.

ok. not sure if you addressed this earlier.. but why were you reinstalling windows again..

i know we had the problem recognizing the SATA controller but.. why were you doing it in the first place?

it may lead to the root of your problem... .

If it is any help it always gets stuck loading the file "Qlogic QLA1080, 64 bit PCI LVD SCSI HBA" I don't think it would really but worth a try. And if i don;t instal the drivers for the HD then it gets past here only to load a few more to hewlett packard netraid-4m raid controller, where it either shuts of or freezes.

When it turns of it doesn't really turn of, everything still keeps going the same way it was except the moniter doesn't show anything, it is just like when you have your computer turned of and the moniter power on. Except now it doesn't turn off now what it does is freezes. But i am installing win 98 to see if it will work and about 2% into the drive formatting at the beggining the screen turns of and stops detecting or whatever.

i left it on for 3 hours straigh to test it earlier maintaitained around 75 degrees celsius. Maybe the problem is was when i was building i put on the heatsink and i had to readjust it but half the thermal pad have come of. So since i had to rotate the heatsink i peeled the rest off but when i put it on there was about 20% of the cpu not covered by thermal gel. Could this be the problem?

EDIT: and i have nice cooling 3 120mm case fans and the heatsink that came with the cpu should be good enough...

just check it again now
cpu = 71 degrees
system 35 degrees
pwm1 45 degrees

Edit 2: hmm that is interesting... if i leave the moniter off i can turn it back on again... i will try this for a while and if it still works then that is cool. This cannot be a power issue though becasue i have a 600 watt power supply, it was on auto maybe it wasn't giving it enough power so i changed it to high. Hopefully this will work i will update in about 5, 10 min depending...

Edit 3: so i can still see stuff on my screen but nothing has changed. So basically the freezing issue is happening with win 98 instal now instead of the screen shutting off. Can someone please help me i have no idea what is wrong!!! Why won't ti let me instal windows?!?! (i know there are so many different reasons and that this is a really hard question to answer but please try your best)

Thats it i can't figure it out thanks for your help... but nothing helped i am going to take it in to a local computer store see what they can do with it. I fixed 3 problems been hung up on the third half the day, nothing has helped. I am so frusterated, i feel this is my only option. Once again thanks for your suggestions!

I would say hardware problem. Likely RAM or CPU related. And less possibly your CD-ROM drive or disc itself. And last likely, perhaps even your hard drive.

Before you take it in perhaps you could test your memory? Burn the ISO from http://www.memtest86.com/
Boot off that and see if it finds anything.

You better post about what the shop found when it's fixed!

I havn't taken it in yet i decided i would buy some better quality thermal gel. So far it seems to be doing the trick. HGasn't frozen yet and been setting up 10 min... i think this is a good sign to warly to tell though.

So i was way to stubborn to take it in, win xp still doesn't like me but with win 98 i have managed to format the drive and start installing windows... but then after a bit of the way into the windows instal it either freezes or restarts. Any suggestions?

It is not a temp problem my cpu is running from cold 45 degrees after about an hour doing about 65 degrees max. Unless of course i permentaly damaged it when i readjusted the heatsink (again) and then when i turned it on 5 times in a row it was running at 95 degrees...

i got windows 98 installed (somehow). When i booted it up the first time says insufficiant memmory ot start windows... So i think something is wrong with my memory, maybe plugged in wrong or something. I am going to check that out now...

Take Vigilante's advice and run the memtest86. Run it three or more times without stopping to see if it gets all the way through. If it reports errors or straight up freezes lets us know.

Now everytime i start windows it says "insufficient memory to initialize windows. (then it goes on to tell me to end utilities from config.sys etc.)" This is weird because in boot up screen it says it has detected the memory and that it is dual channal, and it goes through and tests all the memory (2g of it) and it takes like 30 secs to test it all. Anyone have any suggestions? I checked the memory in the mobo moved it to different slots... although it doedsn't really matter since the comps detects it. Windows is just being annoying probably. But then again the memory was probably what caused the freezing... Anyways could anyone provide me with some insight?

last time i downloaded the file and put it on the cd but... i don't exactly now how to work it... in dos it was just the 2 files nothing to start it. But i will paly with it a bit, maybe i downloaded the wrong one. Ya okay i downloaded the wrong one burning it onto disk now to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back