Installing WinModem Chipset drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebbede

Modem Drivers Install

Hi all i have my modem drivers, I hope lol.

I have been given an instruction to run a file called all_install_os it's still in the Tar.gz file but whenever i try to do anything with it all it does is open in Kwrite and show what looks to be coding. The instruction i've been given is to run the file but i don't know what i'm meant to do with it.

Hope you can help.

P.S. I managed to get Linux to recognise my DvD-R writer now even if it thinks its a ROM.

Open a command promt, then go to the folder where the file is located & type tar xvfz <filename>.

Then see if it has extracte a README or INSTALL file & read them before you continue.

Re: Modem Drivers Install

Originally posted by Zebbede
I managed to get Linux to recognise my DvD-R writer now even if it thinks its a ROM.
It doesn't matter what the icon on the desktop is called, you should still be able to burn if you have DVD burning apps. Actually, my DVD+/-RW/-RAM drive is /dev/hdc, in other words, a "hard disk device". But it reads and burns just like it should.

Modems

Hello Me again

Am i right in assuming that you can not run a WinModem on a Linux OS? if so any chance of telling me how i can tell if a modem is compatiable with both Windows and Linux or if I need two in my computer?

It's starting to get me annoyed and I've changed to Mandrake 9.2 now so if that makes things a little easier brilliant also I don't know how to create a Dial up connection (56kb connection). I have no Help files that i know of else I would bother that.

Re: Modems

Hello Me again

Am i right in assuming that you can not run a WinModem on a Linux OS? if so any chance of telling me how i can tell if a modem is compatiable with both Windows and Linux or if I need two in my computer?

It's starting to get me annoyed and I've changed to Mandrake 9.2 now so if that makes things a little easier brilliant also I don't know how to create a Dial up connection (56kb connection). I have no Help files that i know of else I would bother that.

Your best bet IMHO would be to get a Hayes compatible external modem & you should not have any issues with win or Linux HTH http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Linux+compatible+modems&btnG=Google+Search

:grinthumb

Hello all again still flogging this dead horse.

[root@localhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make clean
cd coredrv; make clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/zebbede/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
rm -f *.o *~ core
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zebbede/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
cd serialdrv; make clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/zebbede/Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv'
rm -f *.o *~ core
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zebbede/Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv'
rm -f *.o
rm -f *.o
[root@localhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make ham
Module precompile check
Current running kernel is: 2.4.22-10mdk
/lib/modules... autoconf.h does not exist
please install kernel source
make: *** [check] Error 1
[root@localhost Intel-v92ham-453]#

THats whats happening when i try to install the drivers. I'm extracting them in a usual user login from a Root Consol in the Home. I'm using Mandrake 9.2. The chipset drivers ARE CORRECT I know that much.

Told to
log as root
Exract using tar zxvf- <achrive File name>
then told to enter the folder using CD command
then
make clean
make ham
make install

I get problems at Make HAM.

THanks in advance

-sighs- ok then how do i install the source I don't know where to find it. So i'm really new to this

I'm actually viewing the net through my windoze partiton.

thanks in adavance

-sighs- ok then how do i install the source I don't know where to find it. So i'm really new to this

I'm actually viewing the net through my windoze partiton.

thanks in adavance

you can get the newest kernel source from
http://www.kernel.org/ or your distro should have the kernel source on one of the CD's if you need help compiling a new kernel this may help http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Kernel-HOWTO.html
keep us posted on your progress :D

I am and will lol i got 2 commands in and got an error lol

[root@localhost RPMS]# rpm -i kernel-headers*.rpm
error: File not found by glob: kernel-headers*.rpm
[root@localhost RPMS]#

There i got to from the help document u gave me. Remember complete n00b.

I am and will lol i got 2 commands in and got an error lol

[root@localhost RPMS]#

There i got to from the help document u gave me. Remember complete n00b.

Did you also install the kernel development packages from your Mandy CD's? Sorry I forgot to mention that:eek: where did you get your kernel source? Off your Mandy cd's?

From the web address you gave me is where i got the source from.

As for Kernel package I don't know i just did basic bog standard of what Mandy said i should have. As for where i got mandy My mate gave it to me. though he's uninstalled it due to fustration with drivers for sound and something else i think.

[root@localhost RPMS]#

The error is pretty obvious.. do you actually have the kernel-headers...rpm in that directory? Also, you need the kernel headers that exactly match your current kernel version so you should get the kernel source/headers from the same place you got your kernel (e.g. off the Mandrake CD)

From the web address you gave me is where i got the source from.

As for Kernel package I don't know i just did basic bog standard of what Mandy said i should have. As for where i got mandy My mate gave it to me. though he's uninstalled it due to fustration with drivers for sound and something else i think.

we well need to make sure to install the kernel devlopment packages so that we can recompile your kernel the dev packges should include your kernel source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back