Installing WinXP on top of Vista [HP Pavilion dv9205TX]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I bought a HP Pavilion dv9205TX notebook a while back, the only thing i didnt like about the package was it shipped with Vista. I thought I'd give it a bash but to be blunt Vista totally sux, which i was fine with until Vista finally gave up the ghost and crashes virtually every program which uses the internet. No programs can access my internet connection (including firefox, IE, msn, gaim, etc), but microsoft update has no issue connecting and downloading new updates...

Also all apps that dont have contact with an internet connection run without issue (i can run the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) but simple things like MSN are a no-go, the program either crashes or when you close something it closes then comes up with a warning saying the program crashed...

Anyway, I've decided i've had enough of the counter-intuitive OS that is Vista and tried installing Windows XP over the top of it, letting the XP cd do its thing on start-up until it comes to a point where it outputs this:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.
Make sure any hard drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer....etc."

This has got me buggered, i went into BIOS and did a hard drive test with no issues and obviously it hasn't got a problem reading the drive as it boots into Vista without an issue. Would anyone have any hints for me as to where i'm going wrong here, i've never owned a notebook before but i just assumed the process of installing an OS onto one wouldn't differ from that of a PC.

Cheers

First, you need to go to your manufacturers website, and download all the latest drivers. Put them in folders or otherwise label them in such a way that you can install all new drivers after you install Windows XP. Be particularly aware of BIOS, Chipset, video graphics, and other key operational drivers so you can install those first. Then note all the modem, ethernet, audio, and so on.

Now do a cold boot... and press on the key that allows you to go directly to your BIOS
First check your BIOS to determine boot order. Make whatever adjustments are necessary to have the CD drive boot first, instead of the hard drive.
Put the XP disc in the drive then shut it down. Wait 20 seconds and start up again... and press the right choices to boot and install Windows.
Now install the drivers with BIOS first, then Chipset, then Video graphics, then all operational files, then finally the others, rebooting after each install whether you get orders to do so or not.
Finally, connect to the ethernet using Internet Explorer, and go to www.microsoft.com, where you then search for Microsoft Update. Go there to download and install all the updates. This will take a very long time.
Reboot, and go to Microsoft again. It takes about four visits to get all the updates...
Now you reboot, and install your word processing, internet connection, and other software, until you get all programs installed, then install your antivirus, antispyware, rootkit, Windows Defender, Media Player 11, DirectX 9.0c, and so on...
Now reboot, and go back to www.microsoft.com to again check for updates to install.

Now you are mostly done except for cleaning up any spyware or adware files that have developed.
Now install your wireless if any.
Finally, install your Firewall.

Thanks for your help raybay, i've downloaded all the driver updates etc from HP.com, my real problem lies in the stage between setting my cd drive as primary boot and windows xp actually installing.

On start-up windows xp will start the installation process off the cd (loading files etc) to a point where it the status read-out at the bottom of the blue dos install menu reads "windows is starting to install" then fails with stating the setup cannot find any hard drives:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.
Make sure any hard drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer....etc."

I have no idea what is going on as BIOS detects the drives and i can still boot vista off them no problem.

Thanks

This appears to be a fairly common problem with discs installed with VISTA., as I hear the same from others from time to time.
Do you have a floppy drive so you can first remove the partition with a floppy Windows 98...
Or perhaps format the drive using VISTA... although I have never tried that.
I know there are suggestions elsewhere for this problem... just cannot remember where I saw them...
Have you tried accessing the disc using Safe Mode? Or of going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disc Management... I know this is not excactly right, but I don't have a VISTA install in front of me.

What drive brand and model is it? You can download software from nearly every hard drive manufacturer but Toshiba that will do a basic setup of the hard drive bypassing all Windows interference. I know the software is available by free download for Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, Samsung, Fujitsu, and Hitachi. Take note of whether it is SATA or EIDE, and you will need the model number and such from the label of the hard drive.

Hmmm i think i've figured out what i was doing wrong, i disabled native SATA support through BIOS and it seems to be installing fine. Thanks for tipping me off on the SATA drivers raybay, I would've been still sitting here pulling my hair out!

I've the same problem with my HP dv9500 model however I cannot see the native sata settings when I go to the bios set up. Does anyone know how to disable it for 9500 model?

Thanks

**MuST REAd**

This call occurred recently between two HP IT support Techs. For confidentiality purposes we are using alternative names. Kumar is the 1-800 support for HP and Ted is the onsite tech at an HP site. Ted was supporting a user’s DV9500 laptop that came with VISTA pre-installed. The user didn’t want to run VISTA instead wanted XP Pro. So Ted used a second hard drive and TRIED to install XP Pro. During the install of Window’s DOS BLUE SCREEN a message appears saying ‘Windows couldn’t find a drive to install on’. The new DV9500 runs w/ SATA drives.

Ted Wilson: hello
Kumar: Hello Ted
Kumar: Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion Notebooks. My name is Kumar. How may I help you today?
Ted Wilson: Ok here is the deal I just received my DV9500 CTO w/ VISTA Home on it and I have a second drive that I want to load WINXP on it. I have already removed the VISTA drive from the primary bay and replaced it with the second one
Ted Wilson: The second drive I want to install WINXPTed Wilson: But when I go to install it through BLUE DOS Windows comes up with error "Unable install because drive doesn't exist" I know the drive works fine because I already formatted it from another windows machine.
Ted Wilson: I have experienced a similar problem like this on the DV9000 models and it had to do with the SATA support in bios 'enable/disable' feature
Ted Wilson: Well I don't have one of those options on the DV9500 model and I'm not pleased with the lack of control features not available at my disposal.
Ted Wilson: This is my problem
Kumar: Ted, what is the capacity of the second hard drive you are installing Xp?
Ted Wilson: 100 GB
Kumar: Have you checked whether the second hard drive has the SATA feature?
Ted Wilson: The SATA feature for enable/disable is only available in the BIOS software on the DV9000 model. IT is not available on the DV9500. This feature is a software switch not hardware
Kumar: May I have the product number(Eg: GL892UA) and the serial number (Eg:CNF72514W8 ) of the Notebook ?
Ted Wilson: S/N: CNF7384H3V
Ted Wilson: P/N: RL653AV
Kumar: Thank you for the information.
Kumar: Let me check the specifications.
Ted Wilson: u still there
Kumar: I am with you.
Ted Wilson: ok
Kumar: Thank you for your time.
Ted Wilson: have you found anything on the problemKumar: I have checked the specifications and in the dv9500 model there is no option to disable the SATA feature. To install Xp in the Notebook you need to have USB floppy drive.
Ted Wilson: What kind of work around is that when you don't have a USB floppy drive? I am forced to go buy this just for the install of WINXP on this laptop. I would like to know y HP decided not to allow that feature in the DV9500.
Ted Wilson: Above that HOW can I guarantee that the USB floppy drive will work? And what is the purchase of the USB floppy drive? Is it to install the third party software drivers for the SATA DRIVE?Kumar: Ted, HP does not recommend any changes that made to the pre installed operating system.
Kumar: for your information please go through the below link.
Kumar: HP Notebook PCs - Issues with Downgrading HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario PCs to Windows XP and Restoring Windows Vista
Kumar: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01092639&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Kumar: Note: Copy the URL starting from "http" till "USEN” and paste in the address box of the browser, then press Enter Key.
Ted Wilson: I'm installing this on a new separate HD not associated with the pre-configure HD.
Ted Wilson: hold on I will copy URL
Ted Wilson: Reading Disclaimer as I type...hold on a moment.
Kumar: Ted, HP will release a new BIOS version which has an option to disable the SATA feature.
Ted Wilson: ETA
Ted Wilson: You know...if I had known this PROBLEM before the user bought this laptop he would have NEVER bought a HP laptop. How do you make a product that doesn’t allow versatility for USERS to do as they please with the product AFTER they have purchased it? I am not happy at this moment and sorry you are getting the blunt of this
Kumar: We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Ted Wilson: I'm beginning to feel as I'm being told what I can and can't load on my OWN laptop after purchase. Some of us like the ability to PIMP our laptops. I smell a little of BILL GATES ogilopoy.
Kumar: Ted, as a front line agent I have my own limitations. I just support you. It is the HP policy.
Ted Wilson: Do you have an ETA on the new BIOS update for DV9500.
Ted Wilson: I know I work for HP myself and provide 1st level support. I just don't believe that this is the direction HP wants to go for configs available to the customers
Ted Wilson: My customer wants XP on another hard drive because of the QUIRKY problems he was having with VISTA. Now I have to tell him to deal with the QUIRKY VISTA or option two send laptop back for refund.
Ted Wilson: You never got back to me on the ETA of BIOS Release for DV9500.
Ted Wilson: This is all I need to conclude our discussion.

This call is not fabricated because I was on the call with HP Support via chat and currently work for HP as I type the memo. I thought by releasing this would be in the best interest of the CUSTOMER COMMUNITY who buy products from big corporations. They should be entitled to USE their product anyway they see fit. Now, I understand that HP or any other Vendor s don’t have to support this style of config or allow support built into it. BUT they should allow some type of DISCLAMIER posted to what your buying; WILL NOT support CERTAIN FUNCTIONS. The answer to the BIOS update was never released. So for all you sappy Laptop lovers, who wish away VISTA for XP on your newly purchased laptop from HP, be wary on your config for SATA\EIDE choice. I think anymore you are left with SATA only and VISTA. Everyone loves the Microsoft philosophy, ‘Give them what they want with little control and WE (Corporate) retain the majority. I expect this from APPLE because you buy an APPLE and it is an APPLE. But when PCs came to existence it was considered an open architecture sort of like Linux. More and more our rights as customers are controlled by corporatism. But little are we acknowledged to it because it all happens under the covers. Peace and be alert to your purchases someone is always looking to make a buck at your expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back