Installing xp failed on my pc Need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to take my xtra pc and boot it with xp system. Well for some reason xp failed to install and now i am stuck. How can I reinstall xp or 98? I have both set ups. But when I try to it returns with xp failed on both set up systems.

help......

you can only install XP on 1 computer at a time. You need to buy a copy for each computer you install it on.
Without system specs we can not help you otherwise.

Tedster said:
you can only install XP on 1 computer at a time. You need to buy a copy for each computer you install it on.
Without system specs we can not help you otherwise.

he could be a p.i.r.a.t.e. :evil: :bounce:

EDIT: why is "p.irate" a banned word like here "******"? :haha:

Well I know that..... :haha: you can only install it on one pc at a time.... But :D ..... Like I was saying.... :grinthumb I need some help. The pc I have is a peaced together system that I am trying to get going for my kid. I just need to know how to get this stuck xp install off the pc that way I can re boot it with a diffrent option.

you could try making a boot disk for windows 98. on power up go into the bios and set the boot priority to floppy drive first. boot--start with cd rom support--type fdisk and then sort out partitions and so on, after that you can restart and change back to boot from cd, install xp after formating the drive and try again, it shoud work :grinthumb

don't forget some older machines will not run on xp
like built in sound and graphics.
most built in nic's work
should always check for bios updates for motherboard.
diff need a reformat floppy or bootable cd
look on internet for the ultimate booot cd I think it's free

The ultimate boot Cd is a nice little boot Cd but it suffers from having a 10 Gb limit. meaning it wont format anything over 10 GB.

Well i have tryed changing my boot sequence and its still giving me hell...... and now its a lil more intence. Now this damn thing is telling me:

invalid boot diskette insert boot diskette in A:

I don't know what the hell I did.

I have nothing in the A: drive an I can't keep it from trying to boot xp.

Wat can I do... Please help???????? I need step by step instructions.. <----Blonde :angel:

I did not know that bout the 10gb limit MMMMMMMMM
would it ignore the rest of the drive or cause it just change it
completely fail reformat
you may need to go into bios
make sure the floppy is bootable
my machine has no floppy drive so ya know I opt for bootable cd. do web search for free utilys and or a trial disk manager that may let you make a bootable cd disk formater
the only other app out there is w.@.r.z and thats a no no here.
if you ask nice computer store may do for small fee or maybe even free.
I get maybe 2 clients a year for this service.
here's another thought dah should have remembered
if you got the time and if you can get the right windows boot dsk look for zapit or wipit HDD cleaner???
add a folder to your boot floppy
like (zap)
now when booted to A drive
screen should just have
an A: or A:\ prompt
type in cd A:\zap
screen will then look like A:\zap type in the name of exe file could be zap or zapit
follow directions your main hard drive is 0 not 1
the bigger the drive the longer to wipe it 80 gig 2 hours
I know long time ,this also will remove any spyware that has allocated bad cluster files.

when you say you changed the boot sequence what did you change it to? and after you changed it did yuo make sure to use the SAVE&exit option when exiting the bios?

the reason you are getting that message is because it is still looking in the A: drive for the boot files. and as you say you have nothing in the A: drive

I did not know that bout the 10gb limit MMMMMMMMM
would it ignore the rest of the drive or cause it just change it
completely fail reformat

no it will format but only 10gb of the drive, you could make several 10 gb partitions if you wanted to.

when i said i changed the bios i ment that i went in an made sure i would only boot from cd. and not anything else and it is still saying

don't ever use the A: not on that pc.....

for whatever reason it is not looking to the optical drive to boot from it is still looking ot the floppy drive.

if you know the make of the board I would suggest going to the manufacturer's site and seeing if there is a bios update for it.

got to bios check if option to disable other boot device or boot seek and disable all other boot devices.
it sounds like maybe cdrom is not reading boot disc
alos your boot seq. should be like
CD-Rom or dvd same thing to bios
0 is your first hard drive
disable all other boot devices
if you have scsi that can be the 2nd or 3rd device on boot
after all that if you are still getting cmd for A drive somethins up with your hardware/bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back