Installing XP on a Win8 Machine?

I want to install Windows XP either on a seperate partition or an external drive. I have a working physical CD for installing XP. However, when the CD drive is put first in my boot order on my windows 8 desktop machine, it doesn't boot. The only thing that can get it to boot is disabling all other options in the BIOS boot order except my CD drive. When it does boot up, setup gives me an error that "mv64xx.sys" is corrupted. However, this is not the case when booting from my laptop running windows 7. The same CD works fine there. My idea then was to install it to an external drive via my laptop using this tutorial on the forums and then boot the external drive on my main PC, but the tutorial states that the drive's OS can only be booted on the computer that installed it. My computer is the HP Envy 700 Desktop and my laptop is a 5 year old Dell Studio. Any clues as to what can be done here would be greatly appreciated.

Desktop Computer Specs: https://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbf...ctDetail&productID=BB19270516&operation=Specs

I second that. A virtual solution is the easiest way to go and you won't screw up your Windows 8.1 OS. VMWare Player is an alternative To Virtual Box. It's a lot of work to install XP and progress to SP3 even if everything goes smoothly. After that there are loads of further Windows updates so It's worth considering whether you really need to do this.

Back