Installing XP on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help.

First, here's my hardware:
Motherboard: Asus M3A32-MVP deluxe
CPU: AMD Phenom Quad 9500 2.2Ghz
HDD: Maxtor 500GB SATA
RAM: OCZ PC2 8000 2GB dual channel (4GB total)
IDE DVD drive.

I decided to upgrade my PC by buying a new motherboard, processor, RAM and SATA hard drive. I put it all together in it's shiney new case and turned the power on.

I was delighted to see that it worked, in the BIOS screen I could see that my new HDD was detected, as was my DVD drive. I do not have a floppy drive installed. If I set it pass through the BIOS I get a message saying that I need to select an appropriate boot device - which I understand, and to me this was a good sign.

I inserted my xp pro disk in to the drive and rebooted. Automatically windows started to set it's self up. I could see it writing certain files, drivers etc, so I sat back and let it happen.

Here's where my problem starts... As windows then begins to boot up, I get a blue screen saying that windows had detected a problem and to save damage to my PC it had shut down. It then went on to explain that I should check for enough disk space etc etc, and at the bottom gave me E0000007 (and 3/4 other similar codes in brackets)

Now, through what I have managed to find on the net, I hope / belive the problem to be that my SATA drivers are not on the XP pro disk, and so my computer effectively does not know it has a HDD in order to store a windows installation. Am I right?

If so, then I am also led to believe that if I integrate my SATA drivers into a new XP pro disk, then I wont encounter this problem and installation of windows can continue?

I am currently in the process of performing this tak through a program called NLite - Although it appears to be taking forever!! it will be worth it IF it works.

I tried to get around this problem by booting the new machine from my old IDE HDD. No joy at all there, I get the exact same blue screen. After reading up I discover that this is normal as the chipset on my new mobo is completely different to the old one.

I then thought i'd go one better and new install of windows but to my IDE HDD, which was clearly detected as my computer tried to boot from it (or so I thought)

Here I encountered another problem. My new mobo only has one IDE controller!! my only hope of having both my DVD Rom drive and my HDD going at the same time was to use them on the same cable - yet more of my research proves this can be done, just set the DVD to slave and have the HDD as master. This doesn't seem to work for me. When I have both the DVD and IDE HDD connected, not even the BIOS sees my HDD, so, again when I boot from the XP CD - you guessed it - I get the blue screen again!!!

I'm seriously running out of ideas here, if this driver integration idea fails, whats next? where do I go from here? any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Please set both ATA drives to Cable Select and try again.

The nLite sounds ok, but it would have been easier to find a floppy drive and use the Sata driver (ie F6 prompt during Windows install) from there.

Try CS on both
And post back with if it worked

I have changed the jumper settings on both my IDE HDD and DVD Rom, BIOS now detects them all - THANK YOU!!

As I write this, the NLite is still doing whatever it is that it is doing with my XP CD, as soon as it is finished I will try once again to do a fresh XP install on my IDE HDD.... fingers crossed.

Provided that install goes ok, how would i then go about loading on my SATA drivers? I then would want to use something like acronis true image or xx copy to transfer my system disk to the SATA one, hopefully the allowing my SATA drive to boot my system? does that sound right?

Yes that sounds right.

But imaging from ATA to Sata may not work exactly, anyway. Doh!
Because the drivers for the Sata will still need to be installed.

The nLite looks good, if the Sata drivers have been installed.
By the way I still think, go get a floppy drive! (and remove it later)
Why Windows wants a floppy drive and not a CD is beyond me

Kimsland - another point I feel I should just mention. I'd have loved to just put a floppy drive in and ithe drivers from the F6 prompt, but my motherboard did not come with any floppy disks, just a CD :(

Yes I knew that
But does it have a floppy drive connection on the motherboard ??
If so, purchasing (or borrowing from even an old computer) a floppy drive and data cable, may have been much easier

Oh yes, I have a floppy drive connection on the motherboard, I also have access to a floppy drive and cable. Are you saying that if I bought floppy disks, downloaded my drivers from Asus, transfered these to the disks (it might take a few) and then run these through from the F6 prompt I should be in business??

Update... With my BIOS now seing both my IDE HDD and my DVD Rom drive, I have just attempted the XP install. I now have no idea why, but I got the same blue screen error message just as windows was about to boot up.

With this in mind, surely even if this nLite program managed to make me an XP CD including my SATA drivers, when I came to install Windows I would again get the blue screen.

What else could be causing this problem?

and then run these through from the F6 prompt I should be in business??
That's what I'd do (you need one floppy disk one floppy drive, one data cable)

What else could be causing this problem?
In your system CMOS, is it set for Pata; P-Sata; Sata; Auto; Raid!

You know just install the floppy Drive and confirm CMOS has got optimed defaults done, then confirm Sata (or P-Sata exactly) is set. Then install (ie F6)

Also it is possible to get conflicts with some drives and CD drives (together)
Nah ! I've re-thought that, just do the floppy option (today or tomorrow!)

I must go soon myself (Be back in about 8 Hrs)
Good luck :)

Edit:

Make sure you have the right driver

DannStarr said:
Please help.

First, here's my hardware:
Motherboard: Asus M3A32-MVP deluxe
CPU: AMD Phenom Quad 9500 2.2Ghz
HDD: Maxtor 500GB SATA
RAM: OCZ PC2 8000 2GB dual channel (4GB total)
IDE DVD drive.

I decided to upgrade my PC by buying a new motherboard, processor, RAM and SATA hard drive. I put it all together in it's shiney new case and turned the power on.

I was delighted to see that it worked, in the BIOS screen I could see that my new HDD was detected, as was my DVD drive. I do not have a floppy drive installed. If I set it pass through the BIOS I get a message saying that I need to select an appropriate boot device - which I understand, and to me this was a good sign.

I inserted my xp pro disk in to the drive and rebooted. Automatically windows started to set it's self up. I could see it writing certain files, drivers etc, so I sat back and let it happen.

Here's where my problem starts... As windows then begins to boot up, I get a blue screen saying that windows had detected a problem and to save damage to my PC it had shut down. It then went on to explain that I should check for enough disk space etc etc, and at the bottom gave me E0000007 (and 3/4 other similar codes in brackets)

Now, through what I have managed to find on the net, I hope / belive the problem to be that my SATA drivers are not on the XP pro disk, and so my computer effectively does not know it has a HDD in order to store a windows installation. Am I right?

If so, then I am also led to believe that if I integrate my SATA drivers into a new XP pro disk, then I wont encounter this problem and installation of windows can continue?

I am currently in the process of performing this tak through a program called NLite - Although it appears to be taking forever!! it will be worth it IF it works.

I tried to get around this problem by booting the new machine from my old IDE HDD. No joy at all there, I get the exact same blue screen. After reading up I discover that this is normal as the chipset on my new mobo is completely different to the old one.

I then thought i'd go one better and new install of windows but to my IDE HDD, which was clearly detected as my computer tried to boot from it (or so I thought)

Here I encountered another problem. My new mobo only has one IDE controller!! my only hope of having both my DVD Rom drive and my HDD going at the same time was to use them on the same cable - yet more of my research proves this can be done, just set the DVD to slave and have the HDD as master. This doesn't seem to work for me. When I have both the DVD and IDE HDD connected, not even the BIOS sees my HDD, so, again when I boot from the XP CD - you guessed it - I get the blue screen again!!!

I'm seriously running out of ideas here, if this driver integration idea fails, whats next? where do I go from here? any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Which ribbon are you using?
Basic one gray with red strip
Still it shouldn't matter which one though.

Primary Master - HDD C:
Primary Slave - DVDRW D:

Make sure you load the Chipset drivers for your MOBO when you mix IDE HDD and SATA HDD together. I built my systems this way go not problems. But the key is to get the Chipset drivers and the SATA drivers or SATA RAID Manager even if you don't do RAID it will work with just the one SATA to get it running with IDE drives.

I'm using the black Asus HDD cable which came with the board.

Kimsland "In your system CMOS, is it set for Pata; P-Sata; Sata; Auto; Raid!"

I've now set it to RAID, it was previously set to IDE.

captaincranky - I already have access to a floppy drive from an old PC.

I'm now beginning to fear a hardware problem. Lets put installing an OS on my SATA drive aside for a moment.... I managed to load my SATA drivers on to a new XP disk, I saw them load when I booted from the disk, but still i get to the exact same point when it is about to start windows, it just crashes, gives me the blue error screen with the following error codes:
Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x8080709A, 0xF78DA300, 0xF78D9FFC)

In light of this I decided to run memtest (another very time consuming task!!) My memory 100% passed the tests.

I hear that another thing to check could be the video card. Is that right, could a video card alone cause those errors? Its an ATI X1300 (becoming my prime suspect as I bought this from ebay)
I guess the only way i'll know is to try a different video card - knowing my luck the new one will be faulty too!!

Kimsland - You say I shoudl configure my CMOS to P-SATA, and from that I understand that I enter the BIOS set up, and change the value that I now have set as RAID? I dont believe I have an option for P-SATA, would it be called anything else, or am I in the wrong place completely?

tipstir - You say to ensure I have the chipset drivers loaded. When do I do this? First thing from the MOBO CD, or after windows? because currently I cant get as far as windows?

Mines P-SATA but you may have "both" ie both Sata and IDE, or maybe "Automatic"
Also raid is for having two HardDrives

I'm now completely lost. Any other ideas before I blow more cash on a new video card? Could a video card alone cause my problem?

Yes, unplug any/all internal cards not required (for Windows setup) devices. Even your external mouse.

Also I was thinking, that because you have tried a few times the partition may be faulty (which could be causing it)

Here is Delpart http://www.juliatexas.com/delpart/Delpart.exe

Here's some info on it: http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/DELpart.htm

This will totally remove any partition on your HardDrive, making it like new again.
Must be run either from bootable CD or floppy.

Try that, restart, install Windows (F6 and so forth!)

I dont seem to be able to get this delpart to make a bootable CD.

Anyhow, I've downloaded the bootable HDD testers from the manufacturers website and run full tests on both my SATA HDD and the IDE, both came back as fine.

I ordered a new video card and hopefully it will be with me tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back