Installing XP on new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Coles

After a year with big new Dell running XP, I started getting all sorts of freezed including the dreaded kernel stack error. I did ALL the recommended stuff - honest. In the end decided to cut losses and after suitable backups to reformat HD from recovery CD. Boots OK, loads setup files but when "starting windows" it stops, blue screen and shows an error 0x0000007B. OK bought a new HD from Dell (3 weeks to deliver!), put it in, disconnected the old HD, and tried again. Same result, same error at same place. So not HD. I am stumped. Any help would be much appreciated.

Anthony Coles

Google and get memtest and run it for atleast 7 passes, any errors at all and your ram will need to be replaced.

Many thanks. I have downloaded memtest and set it running. I shall leave it running overnight as recommended. Got to 200% on two simultaneous scans so far without error. Will see what the morning brings (it is 6pm here how.)

OK 2 simultaneous scans running now for 20 hours. No errors on either. Any further advice as to what I can try next?

Thanks, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back