Installing XP on the same system as Vista

By dastari
May 9, 2007
  1. Hi
    I recently bought a machine that came with Vista pre-installed. I installed a second hard drive in the machine on the other sata connection on the motherboard.

I've been trying to install XP on this second hard drive, but when I do it stops me from loading vista, and the best I can do is get a dual-boot screen every time I startup.

I would prefer to automatically boot into vista every time unless I press f12 at startup and manually choose to boot from the other drive. I think this is what it should be doing anyway, so I don't really know what to do.

The bios is set to boot from the main hard drive. When I boot from the newly installed drive it gives an error (something like insert system disk..).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

You can change the timeout of the boot menu.

If its the XP boot menu, then edit boot.ini on c:\.

If its the Vista boot menu, use this command:

bcdedit /timeout x

where "x" is the number of seconds you want the menu to appear. Setting it to 0 will suppress the menu totally, I believe.
  3. dastari

dastari TS Rookie Topic Starter

Stopping the boot screen coming up entirely would mean there would be absolutely no way of getting to xp (without changing the boot.ini settings every time).

I fixed this in the end by simply removing the vista drive when installing xp on the other drive. Now my pc automatically boots into vista unless I press f12 and choose the other hard drive manually, which is exactly what I wanted. :D

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Basically meant that XP never got to write into the Vista disk's MBR - then wrote it into its own disk's boot sector instead. Might be a way to do this without having to disconnect the drive, let me think about it....
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Change the hdd boot priority in BIOS.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.