installing xp pro on a blank hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

oool308swar

Ok i have built a computer and i am trying to install Xp pro on the new comp. I have a brand new WD 40 gig hard drive. I have set the bios so that it only recognises the cd rom. I exit and save the bios and i insert the XP cd: i get and error message of " Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" can anyone please help me. Do i need to do something to the hard drive i am lost!!!!
Also i dont have a floppy drive all i have is a CD rom. I am running a Asus A7n8x, ati pro video card, AMD 2500. and a WD 40 gig hd with 512 mb of ram.

You'll be prompted to "Pressy Any Key To Continue" to begin the XP installation.

If you do not get this message, then your computer is not booting from the CD for some reason.

Do you not get this message?

no i dont get that message. Do in need a boot cd or what . How can i see if it is booting from that CD. It is a legite version.
OD i need to formate that HD or do i do anything to it since it is band new...

also some one wrote in another post that you could take that new HD and put it in a old computer with Xp on it and get Xp on it that way. I have 3 cpus at my house iwht XP on them can you give instructions on how to do that

thaks

Is the CD bootable? If not you may need to create the 6 setup floppy disks or find a bootable XP CD

where can i find a bootable xp cd..i dont think it is bootable and that is my problem

I cant do the 6 floppies cause i didnt pt a A drive in it ( floppy drive)

Sorry I just now realized that you do not have a floppy installed on the CPU. If any of your other CPU's have a floppy you can install the blank HD in one of your others. You can download the setup disks from www.microsoft.com/technet. You will need of course 6 blank floppys. Boot to the first and you will be prompted for the others. Once that is completed you will then need the XP Pro CD.

OK i do have a cpu wiht a floppy. Now do i take out the old hard drive and replace it with the new one or do i leave the old on in there and hook the new one up as a slave...thaks so much for all fo your help
c

I would just take out the old one and hook up the new one. Be sure before you do that you create the setup disks.

Can you take the floppy out of the old and install it in the new? You will have an issue with drivers etc etc if you install the OS on the old CPU once you replace it in the new.

ok i just took out the floppy and put it in the new i will DL those floppy disks and see how it works...thaks all. i will keep ya posted

Hell it didnt work either...ok here is what it says " verifying pool data........
Bott from CD:
Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter"
waht do you all think
thanks

The original XP CD is bootable... You know.. The one you install XP from.

Perhaps there's a silly mistake in your BIOS options somewhere. Double check that you indeed correctly made your CDROM bootable before the hard drives.

And secondly, some BIOSes require that that the CDROMs be detected before booting from them. This means that you should make sure you see the BIOS detect the CDROMs during the first POST screen.

If not, you may have to enter the section of your BIOS where you manualy configure your hard disk and add your CDROMs manually or set them to "auto" (in most cases this will work).

Most newer systems don't have to be this way though.

Also, is there a way you can verify that your CDROM indeed works and is setup correctly?

It could be something as simple as a wrong jumper setting or lose cable.

Even though your computer undoubtedly should boot from the XP CD without question, you can download the XP setup disks from Microsoft's website. It's about 6 floppy images and you will need 6 floppy disks and a floppy drive to use them. ;)

ok i got the disk to start loading...i took the disks from a compaq that i have with XP on it...is this going to be a problem i see it si laoding som e compaq drivers on my new CPU..
letme know
i will hold my breath when this is done

Are they floppy disks to start the setup? Or a CD?

The Compaq drivers you are probably seeing are for things like "Compaq array" etc... These are common with all Windows XP versions since XP includes common drivers for SCSI / RAID setups on the CD. Compaq just happens to be one of them.

You should not have a problem with using the Compaq setup disks, if they are indeed disks and discs.

I got the flopy to wok not the CD. I disabled all of the boots except the floppy
I put the 6 th floppy in and now it is holding on a Please wait prompt... the floppy light is on and it has been like that for about 15 minuets..you think i should re try it or just let it keep doing what it is doing ( what ever that is )
i really appreciate all of your help

The last disk does take a bit longer then the rest. If it is still going I would say there is an issue. You will need to put the cd in however. Setup is going to look for this next. You didnt disable the cd rom did you?

Tina

well i got it, i took 6 disks from a non comercial cpu i buil , i think it was having problems with the compaq drivers...well it is on and running, thanks so much for all of your help, the new computer screams and i am going to unlock thta barton chip no ;)...lets see if i can screw that up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back