Installing XP PRO X64 Like XP PRO Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundguy585

Hello, I need some help from someone who is familiar with installing XP PRO X64 Operating System.
I like to upgrade and troubleshoot PC's and a friend of mine is getting out of the business of PC building at a corporate level. He gave me some leftover microsoft programs that he has. I now have a few XP Pro x64 operating systems and other software and I wanted to know if I use the x64 Xp on a 32 bit pc, will it default to regular XP PRO installation?
If anyone knows for sure I would be forever grateful for the info. Thanks

P.S. This is my first post, so forgive me if I'm now doing this right.

64-bit XP is 64-bit and the binaries are completely different from the 32-bit version - this is more than just product branding. It will work only on 64-bit hardware and will install as 64-bit.

Thank You, Nodsu For Your speedy Reply. I was hoping I could use these disks. I do have a Athlon 64 processor, but I am afraid of installing x64 XP because I read of the possibility incompatibility of the drivers of my hardware. I don't know if I even would benefit from switching the O.S. If you have any insight in this I will welcome it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just trash the disks. Thanks.

If you are running on Athlon 64, then no.

The most hardware are providing the 64 bit drivers now.

Mind tell us your spec, including other hardwares?

64-bit mode will benefit you if you have lots of RAM (2GB or more). Also, there are some architectural improvements in the 64-bit CPUs (more registers), so in theory some programs may run faster. I haven't seen any real benchmarks on this.

Just try it :) If it doesn't work, you can always put back the 32-bit version.

Thank You Both For replying to my post.

Here Is My System Specs...

Motherboard: MSI MS-7093
Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 4000+ 2.4ghz
Ram: 2Gb Dual Channel
Video: Diamond Viper Radeon X1300 256Mb (Ati)
Sound: Creative SoundBlaster Live 24 Bit
TV Capture Card: Visiontek Xasty Theater 550 Pro
Hard Drive: Seagate 320Gb (st3320620as)
Hard Drive: Maxtor 160gb (6b160p0)
Cd Rom: Lite-On LTN-4895
Dvd Burner: Samsung SH-s183L
O.S.: Windows XP Pro SP2

I also Have Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium CS3 which might or might not benefit from X64 XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back