TechSpot

integrated video card Question

By Haywood
Mar 25, 2004
  1. I ordered a dell laptop in November It has a 2.3 ghz processor (not to bad , but I am going to upgrade it) I know how to upgrade a processor, but I have no clue if I can upgrade the integrated graphics card?

Is it possible to upgrade an integrated graphics card???

your help would be appreciated :)

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

No, you cannot upgrade an integrated graphics card and since it is a laptop you can't add another vid card and disable the onboard one.

3. Haywood

Haywood TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Nodsu, I heard that you were not able to upgrade them , then I heard from another person that you could, but they weren't sure, so I thought I would post a question. Thanks

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

5. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

Some of the Dells (from 8000 inspiron series onward) have separate daughter boards for the graphics and these can be changed. I have a friend who has a 8200 and has switched from Geforce2Go 32mb to Geforce4Go 64mb to ATI 9000 64mb. He also upgraded the processor but its not mounted in a zif socket in the same way that desktop processors are. He has a PHD in Electrical Engineering and he said the CPU change was a fairly tricky operation. Just thought I'd let you know.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.