TechSpot

Intel announces next-generation Xeon Phi chips, codenamed Knights Landing

By Shawn Knight
Jun 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Intel took the wraps off its new Xeon Phi chip, codenamed Knights Landing, during the International Supercomputing Conference in Leipzig, Germany. It'll be capable of delivering over 3 teraflops of peak performance which is nearly three times as fast as its...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

3TF of performance... a bit low aint it why aint we in the 3EF area?
    Also rumour has it this chip will cost you 3 titan Z's....

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Must be in tribute to Game of Throne's "King's Landing" :)

4. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,217   +1,240

haha I was going to post "Damn it should have been called 'Kings Landing'". Has to be a tribute ;)

I love it, the TitanZ is so absurd it has become currency.

“Umm I have $1000 on me and two TitanZ's, sorry you are $1000 short”

Jad Chaar likes this.
  5. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

I'm 'wet like october'...:)
    (credits to rome tv series)

6. But can it run Crysis :)

7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Even lower when you consider that Xeon Phi's actual float performance isn't close to its theoretical.
    [​IMG]
    Much like the early days of Nvidia's Tesla products I suspect that "retail" pricing won't enter into the equation. Intel needs converts to Xeon Phi, so anyone making the right (coding) noises would likely find themselves the recipients of a heavily discounted -if not free, Phi.
    Bear in mind before you send your begging letter to Santa Clara, that I'm pretty sure you're limited to Xeon CPU's and a server/ws board that is fully specced for Xeon Phi compatibility ( 64-bit PCI-E addressing).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  8. This just in: Twice the peak teoretical performance of any existing chip is now considered slow according to Techspot readers. In case you didn't get it, the 3TF figure is Double Precision and your mighty R9 290x is rated at 0.7TF DP.

havok585 likes this.
  9. dividebyzero

Guest poster with weird and skewed trolling attempt. Colour me shocked.

Knights Landing might end up at 3TFlops of FP64 (theoretical), but is disingenuous to compare it to the 290X which is a gaming card, and artificially constrained to 1:8 double precision rate. The same Hawaii die (actually a 290 non-X) in a workstation card (the W9100) is rated at 2.6 TFlops (1:2 rate)....not exactly "Twice the peak teoretical performance of any existing chip" is it?

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,701   +1,886

I guess these aren't going to be a Newegg, "Shell Shocker" deal, anytime soon, are they?

11. That riser card expansion will fit in any minors PC. the bitcoin horse has bolted already tho?

12. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

LMAO Steve you made my day.

13. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

But then again, this will be a chip not made for consumers but instead compute-intensive applications.

14. dividebyzero

Sidestepping the obvious tongue in cheek...
    Who needs Newegg? List price is in the $3 - 4K range, but the numbers sold at "retail pricing" could possibly be counted on the fingers of one hand.
    TACC's Stampede cost $27.5 million. The director of that computing center, Bill Barth, notes that the 6800 current Xeon Phi boards, and 1600 of the new Knights Landing boards amount to 9% of the system cost....so 8400 boards for just under $2.5 mil if his estimation is correct. Couldn't see Newegg price-matching Intel - just a pity that Intel don't extend the same discounts to consumer product lines.

15. captaincranky

So then, wull ah, whut yur saying is, they're going to be, "Intel-Shocker" deals....:p:cool:

dividebyzero likes this.
  16. dividebyzero

Well, at least until they've got the people hooked. "The first taste is free" strategy has worked for many a street corner "start up".

captaincranky likes this.
  17. captaincranky

And what is an Intel fabrication plant, if not an Afghan poppy field for gearheads? ;)