Intel announces next-generation Xeon Phi chips, codenamed Knights Landing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

meet knight landing intel

Intel took the wraps off its new Xeon Phi chip, codenamed Knights Landing, during the International Supercomputing Conference in Leipzig, Germany. It’ll be capable of delivering over 3 teraflops of peak performance which is nearly three times as fast as its predecessor, Knights Corner.

The chip will feature a new high-speed fabric technology – Intel Omni Scale fabric – that’s said to address performance, scalability, reliability, power and density requirements to speed up the rate of scientific discovery.

Elsewhere, Knights Landing will use 16GB of stacked memory based on Micron’s Hybrid Memory Cube technology that’s said to provide 15 times more bandwidth than DDR3 and five times the bandwidth of DDR4 while being five times more efficient and consuming a third of the space. It’ll have more cores than its predecessor (61) although an exact figure hasn’t been released yet.

Knights Landing chips will be available for commercial system use sometime during the second half of next year and will arrive as both a standalone processor mounted in a motherboard socket and as a PCI-e card option. The latter option is described as a fast upgrade option although programming complexities and PCI-e bandwidth bottlenecks are absent in the socketed variety.

The first supercomputer to be powered by Knights Landing will be deployed by the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center in Berkeley, California. Cori, as the machine will be called, will consist of around 9,300 Knights Landing chips and will be based on Cray’s interconnect.

Permalink to story.

3TF of performance... a bit low aint it why aint we in the 3EF area?
Also rumour has it this chip will cost you 3 titan Z's....

Must be in tribute to Game of Throne's "King's Landing" :)

haha I was going to post "Damn it should have been called 'Kings Landing'". Has to be a tribute ;)

3TF of performance... a bit low aint it why aint we in the 3EF area?

I love it, the TitanZ is so absurd it has become currency.

“Umm I have $1000 on me and two TitanZ's, sorry you are $1000 short”

Knights Landing will use 16GB of stacked memory based on Micron’s Hybrid Memory Cube technology that’s said to provide 15 times more bandwidth than DDR3 and five times the bandwidth of DDR4 while being five times more efficient and consuming a third of the space.
I'm 'wet like october'...:)
(credits to rome tv series)

3TF of performance... a bit low aint it
Even lower when you consider that Xeon Phi's actual float performance isn't close to its theoretical.
003-DEV-T52.png

Much like the early days of Nvidia's Tesla products I suspect that "retail" pricing won't enter into the equation. Intel needs converts to Xeon Phi, so anyone making the right (coding) noises would likely find themselves the recipients of a heavily discounted -if not free, Phi.
Bear in mind before you send your begging letter to Santa Clara, that I'm pretty sure you're limited to Xeon CPU's and a server/ws board that is fully specced for Xeon Phi compatibility ( 64-bit PCI-E addressing).

Last edited:
This just in: Twice the peak teoretical performance of any existing chip is now considered slow according to Techspot readers. In case you didn't get it, the 3TF figure is Double Precision and your mighty R9 290x is rated at 0.7TF DP.

This just in: Twice the peak teoretical performance of any existing chip is now considered slow according to Techspot readers. In case you didn't get it, the 3TF figure is Double Precision and your mighty R9 290x is rated at 0.7TF DP.
Guest poster with weird and skewed trolling attempt. Colour me shocked.

Knights Landing might end up at 3TFlops of FP64 (theoretical), but is disingenuous to compare it to the 290X which is a gaming card, and artificially constrained to 1:8 double precision rate. The same Hawaii die (actually a 290 non-X) in a workstation card (the W9100) is rated at 2.6 TFlops (1:2 rate)....not exactly "Twice the peak teoretical performance of any existing chip" is it?

That riser card expansion will fit in any minors PC. the bitcoin horse has bolted already tho?

I guess these aren't going to be a Newegg, "Shell Shocker" deal, anytime soon, are they?
Sidestepping the obvious tongue in cheek...
Who needs Newegg? List price is in the $3 - 4K range, but the numbers sold at "retail pricing" could possibly be counted on the fingers of one hand.
TACC's Stampede cost $27.5 million. The director of that computing center, Bill Barth, notes that the 6800 current Xeon Phi boards, and 1600 of the new Knights Landing boards amount to 9% of the system cost....so 8400 boards for just under $2.5 mil if his estimation is correct. Couldn't see Newegg price-matching Intel - just a pity that Intel don't extend the same discounts to consumer product lines.

Sidestepping the obvious tongue in cheek...
Who needs Newegg? List price is in the $3 - 4K range, but the numbers sold at "retail pricing" could possibly be counted on the fingers of one hand.
TACC's Stampede cost $27.5 million. The director of that computing center, Bill Barth, notes that the 6800 current Xeon Phi boards, and 1600 of the new Knights Landing boards amount to 9% of the system cost....so 8400 boards for just under $2.5 mil if his estimation is correct. Couldn't see Newegg price-matching Intel - just a pity that Intel don't extend the same discounts to consumer product lines.
So then, wull ah, whut yur saying is, they're going to be, "Intel-Shocker" deals....:p:cool:

Back