TechSpot

Intel core 2 duo

By Smartmike
Dec 8, 2007
  1. Hello I have the Intel Desktop board D925XCV LGA 775 Socket designed for the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme series. I have the Pentium 4 but my computer is slow at times. I want something better like the core 2 duo, but I need to know if this CPU would work on my mother board. Can you help?

2. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,199

It doesn't look like it.

Here's the CPU Compatibility matrix for your motherboard:
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d925xcv/sb/CS-021808.htm

How much memory do you have? In my experience, many systems with this mainboard have adequate CPU power for most users, but are usually very tight on memory (256mb/512mb) and thus operate very slowly as they are hitting the pagefile/disk too oftem for good performance.

3. Smartmike

Smartmike TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 65

I have a 1 gb ramm. Im planning 0n 4gb

4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

do not go to 4bg stop at 3gb

5. Smartmike

What would happen if I go to 4gbs?

6. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 205

what operating system are you using? Windows only effectively uses 2gb. Also what processor do you have?

7. Smartmike

I have the pentium 4 and xp sp2.

8. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 205

I would say just stick with getting 2gb. Do you know what model of the pentium 4 you have?

9. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

he can go to 3 GIG and will not hit any limit, look at my system, I have 4 gig and Windows only sees 3.5 gig and I am running a 640 MB gpu.

10. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,199

I was mainly inquiring on memory in hopes of you having 128, 256 or 512mb of RAM. With 1gig, most things run pretty well in Windows XP with the exception of a couple games (such as BF2 or other memory-hog games).

On the memory discussion above, 32-bit operating systems can effectively see/use 4 gigs of address space. Of that 4 gigs, some is reserved for I/O address space & hardware address space. This is similar to the older 640KB limit with 1MB memory of DOS days- that extra 384KB is used for device address space. With 32-bit Windows, you can surely install 4gigs of RAM, but the OS will only see/have access to 4gig *minus* address space used by devices (i.e. usually 384MB to 1GIG depending on what cards/devices your system has). There are *tricks* to flip on additional real-time addressing (known a PAE), but I discourage this and it's only available on certain 64-bit capable CPU's. In general, stick with 3 gig, or add 4 gig (since it's cheap) but be prepared for Windows to only see 3.X of it due to address space reservation.

I guess the next real question would be- can you better describe how your computer is "slow at times" ? Where precisely is it slow and how does it illustrate this slow performance?

Off the top of my head, I'd also say try running a defrag on your disks as computers can operate very, very slowly if you've never done this.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.