TechSpot

Intel core 2 duo

By Smartmike
Dec 8, 2007
  1. Hello I have the Intel Desktop board D925XCV LGA 775 Socket designed for the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme series. I have the Pentium 4 but my computer is slow at times. I want something better like the core 2 duo, but I need to know if this CPU would work on my mother board. Can you help?

2. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

It doesn't look like it.

Here's the CPU Compatibility matrix for your motherboard:
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d925xcv/sb/CS-021808.htm

How much memory do you have? In my experience, many systems with this mainboard have adequate CPU power for most users, but are usually very tight on memory (256mb/512mb) and thus operate very slowly as they are hitting the pagefile/disk too oftem for good performance.

3. Smartmike

Smartmike TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

I have a 1 gb ramm. Im planning 0n 4gb

4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

do not go to 4bg stop at 3gb

5. Smartmike

What would happen if I go to 4gbs?

6. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 89

what operating system are you using? Windows only effectively uses 2gb. Also what processor do you have?

7. Smartmike

I have the pentium 4 and xp sp2.

8. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 89

I would say just stick with getting 2gb. Do you know what model of the pentium 4 you have?

9. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

he can go to 3 GIG and will not hit any limit, look at my system, I have 4 gig and Windows only sees 3.5 gig and I am running a 640 MB gpu.

10. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

I was mainly inquiring on memory in hopes of you having 128, 256 or 512mb of RAM. With 1gig, most things run pretty well in Windows XP with the exception of a couple games (such as BF2 or other memory-hog games).

On the memory discussion above, 32-bit operating systems can effectively see/use 4 gigs of address space. Of that 4 gigs, some is reserved for I/O address space & hardware address space. This is similar to the older 640KB limit with 1MB memory of DOS days- that extra 384KB is used for device address space. With 32-bit Windows, you can surely install 4gigs of RAM, but the OS will only see/have access to 4gig *minus* address space used by devices (i.e. usually 384MB to 1GIG depending on what cards/devices your system has). There are *tricks* to flip on additional real-time addressing (known a PAE), but I discourage this and it's only available on certain 64-bit capable CPU's. In general, stick with 3 gig, or add 4 gig (since it's cheap) but be prepared for Windows to only see 3.X of it due to address space reservation.

I guess the next real question would be- can you better describe how your computer is "slow at times" ? Where precisely is it slow and how does it illustrate this slow performance?

Off the top of my head, I'd also say try running a defrag on your disks as computers can operate very, very slowly if you've never done this.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.