Intel Core 2 Q6600 review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Hot on the heels of the Core 2 Duo launch, Intel came out and released the world’s first quad-core processor last November. Given how powerful the Core 2 Duo had proven to be, we wondered how much of a performance gain this new quad-core version could offer.

According to our previous tests, there are currently no games that take advantage of the additional two cores; however software such as Photoshop, Pinnacle Studio Plus, QuickTime and 3D Studio Max all greatly benefited from the power of four dedicated cores. For example, the QX6700 was 15% faster than the Core 2 Duo E6700 in Photoshop, and gains as big as 43% were seen in Pinnacle Studio Plus. The biggest performance gap was found in 3D Studio Max where the QX6700 was 89% faster than the E6700.

Even though there will be those out there that will want the power of the QX6700 for image and video editing, the processor’s steep price ($1000) might set high barriers for getting one. Today Intel is releasing a second quad core processor called the Core 2 Quad Q6600. This new entry that comes clocked at 2.40GHz does not belong to the Extreme family of processors and will begin life at $530, making it a much more affordable alternative than the QX6700.

https://www.techspot.com/review/36-intel-core2-quad-q6600/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

*world's first quad-core x86 processor.

There's more to the world than PCs, you know :p

Funny I thought the exact same thing when I read that about a week ago! :)

Nice looking processor anyway, I just hope it really does drop in price so that I can afford one!

Funny I thought the exact same thing when I read that about a week ago! :)

Nice looking processor anyway, I just hope it really does drop in price so that I can afford one!

The low prices are here!

I just bought a complete system with a quad processor for $399. This included 2gigs of ram... and a 4g ram upgrade is only $72... So for $471 I have a 6gig system with a 250g sata drive, keyboard and mouse... I'll be using my existing 20" LCD.

I tried to post a link to the product, but the system rejected it because I had not posted 5 times...

configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=DDCWDAL&cs=19&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN&m_1=SMQ66NH&m_5=N&m_3=1GB62&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643

So pate the above after a http :// (all on one line with no spaces) and you will find the deal.

I'm looking forward to the enhanced performance, and being able to stop using the power I am currently wasting with my dual xeon system that sounds like a jet at takeoff. My office will be quiet again!

As for there being more in this world than pc's... Yeah, there are a lot of non-pc systems that have several to several hundred processors. But just try to buy a game, or a productivity package for them... You can generally get free operating systems, and whatever software the open source community can get compiled on it, but in general pc's are where the typical end-user will find the most value...

As for where this other world is, look in the typical raised floor computer room in corporate america...

George

I'm a Virgin, But This is a Very Old Shirt.....

Said the girl's T-shirt. The Q6600 (OEM) is now available at Newegg for $179.95, so I guess that might be considered a price drop. This CPU was the subject of so many threads which stated flatly that it was "future proof". As it turns out, that was not really the case.

Why did we resurrect this thread anyway?

Great processor. You can easily overclock to 3ghz using BSEL and stock cooling!
That said, it's a bit late don't you think? This thread is from January 2007. Could you even still buy a Q6600 at retail?

I'll answer my own question, NO! At least not from Newegg.

They can be found but are mightily expensive since they are classified as obsolete stock. EOL was May of last year.....How time flies. Three years from first steps to the rest home.

Now I'm waiting for someone to resurrect the Pentium Pro thread

dividebyzero said:
Now I'm waiting for someone to resurrect the Pentium Pro thread

Don't be so lazy. Do it yourself.

Btw, I'm here only because I'm wondering what anyone has to say about such an obsolete, yet still a pretty decent processor.

Yesterday, I Couldn't even Spell "Zarathustra"..., Now I are Him....

Btw, I'm here only because I'm wondering what anyone has to say about such an obsolete, yet still a pretty decent processor.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that we modify the topic a bit. Perhaps something along the lines of, "how the Q6600 became an urban legend"

The Q6600 is a great processor, although I've never owned one personally.

There now, isn't that a literary triumph? I've managed to state the obvious, yet retain the naivete and innocence of conjecture.

Thus endeth the lesson on the manly art of CPU review. Said the man, who said to his wife, "I know exactly where we are", as they passed yet another gas station.

Is it worth it for me to...

Hi ,

At present I have a Pentium D 775 3.0ghz on an Intel 965lt motherboard with 3Gb ram running XPH. I have seen Q6600 and Q6700 CPUs on Ebay for under £100 , is it worth investing in either a Q6600 or Q6700? (as I cannot aford to replace the whole system!)

I mainly use Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS5 and do a bit of gaming.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Hard to say, either processor is considerably faster than what you have now so you will notice the speed bump. But I would be more inclined to save the money towards an entire new build down the track.

I got my Q6600 in 2007. It still is à good one as I play black ops with decent graphics. But now i'm touching The limits, so time for upgrade. Tomorrow my I7 2600 arrives.

Back