TechSpot

Intel details mobile Atom 'Merrifield' and 'Moorefield' SoCs

By Scorpus
Feb 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It's not just Qualcomm detailing their latest efforts in the mobile SoC space today: Intel has also taken the time to talk about their new chips, 'Merrifield' and 'Moorefield', as well as their latest LTE modem. Intel isn't targeting the...

Read more

2. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

I don't understand this part
    a mid-range solution which competes with a high-end product?
    (in my non-technical mind, the intel product is a high-end one)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

There Mid-range in the intel product line up with Bay trail systems still being the High end product from Intel. The atom 3740 already matches(and beats in some areas) the snapdragon 800 and tegra 4 on the CPU side of the Soc and Intel offers a pretty powerful graphics solution (the Apple A7 beats the atoms, SD 800, and tegra 4 graphics wise though). The intel atom 3770 series are the most powerful mobile soc atm (CPU wise, and less then 10w tdp). These new chips are going to have a different graphics architecture then baytrail as well, baytrail uses intels own graphics architecture with these chips going back to powerVR based solution. r graphics then baytrail but Chery trail should close the gap and give the top soc the best graphics again.

misor likes this.
  4. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 1,829   +189

They're targeting mid-range devices, both in marketing and price points, I believe

misor likes this.