Intel GMA X3100 play HD video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromaster114

I was thinking of buying a ThinkPad X61 Tablet PC from Lenovo.
The video card it uses is the Intel GMA X3100 apparently, if I'm not incorrect. (If I am incorrect, someone please correct me.)

I was wondering if I were to try and play an high-resolution video file, say something encoded in a .mkv file that has a resolution of about 720p, would this be able to do it well?

I have heard mixed reports of this and am not sure if the graphics card in the tablet would suit my needs of playing high-resolution video files.

Well I don't believe that integrated card has any hardware acceleration for the codecs used in high definition format (H.264 & VC-1) so it will all depend on the CPU. You would need a high speed dual-core CPU for the video to be smooth.

Would a 2.4 Ghz. Core 2 Duo CPU be enough? (Never seen one in a laptop much faster than that... at least not one that isn't a Desktop Replacement.

I think it might pull it off. In this review they try it out with an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 & the CPU is used up to about 18% for a 720p trailer. Even though a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo is slower, I think it should suffice.

ps. I myself have a video card without video hardware acceleration & a Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz) & I can play 720p trailers fine & even 1080p ones rarely give me trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back