Intel Integrated is an Onboard Demon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrock2

*Onboard Demon

Pardon My Spelling

I bought a dell dimension 1100 a while ago. Here are its specs incase its needed:

Processor: Intel Celeron, 2530 MHz
Memory: 512 Mb
Operating System: Windows XP Home SP2
Video: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

I wanted to upgrade my computer so I bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. This might have been a mistake, because I don't know if it will even improve much on the integrated.

But I can't Uninstall the Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller. I looked EVERY WHERE in BIOS and the only option for Graphics is under Integrated Utilities (might not be the exact name) and it has an option called Graphics Controller. The only options for Graphics Controller are Auto and Onboard. Auto allows my Graphics Card to run, but Intel is still allowed to run.

In system > hardware > I uninstalled the the graphics card. I then uninstalled the drivers in add/remove programs. I then shut down and installed my graphics card. I booted up and the Graphics card was found, but Intel re-installed itself. I get a message saying "New Hardware Found" and it automatically re-installs it. I figure the NVIDIA drivers will fix this problem, so I install the drivers and my graphic card is running fine.

BUT INTEL WONT GO AWAY!

When I disable it under hardware, it somehow still manages to run. Everytime I remove it, it re-installs installs itself. All my games have much better graphics, but they are EXTREAMLY laggy.

The company I bought the card on says to contact the manufacturer. For dell hardware phone support it costs money and and takes 10 years to talk to someone.

Can anyone help me?

Sorry for such a long description, but I read other threads and everyone just tells them to Look in BIOS. I need to make it very clear that BIOS is not the solution.

Thanks.

In device manager, you need to disable rather than uninstall the integrated graphics card!!!!

Also, you need to remember that the psu (power supply unit) may not be able to cope as dell ones aren't that great!!!!

I did disable it in Device Manager, but it doesnt work right.

Like sometimes I think its disable and games will run fine. But on the next boot, I get like 1/4 the amount of frames.

How do I tell if I have enough power?

Thanks for your help guys =]

About the power supply - I am pretty sure I have enough power.

I haven't added anything other then a Graphics card, and from what I can tell from that calculator I am ok =p.

You will need to have a look at the sticker on the side of your psu to find out what it is!!!!
The graphics card should have a recommended minimum psu wattage printed on its box somewhere too!!!!

Also, beware, a lot of dell pc's DONT use standard wiring, you need to check yours before you decide to replace it!!!!

Are you sure there is no onboard video control in the bios? Integrated Peripherials or something like that. You should be allowed to disable the on-board video easily. Make sure you set the AGP settings in the bios too

I think its your power supply. 250 Watts is not very much, especially because generic psu's like yours probably get about 70% efficiency max, so your actually only getting around 190 watts. If your graphics card needs 250 watts, then everything else in your case, cpu, fans, ect combined will overload your psu.

There should be a setting for graphics apature size or agp apature size, try setting that as low as it will go!!!!

Hello! Welcome to Tech Spot and welcome to the int-hell onboard graphics :p

I know the intel 82865G, is such a Pain in the a--, besides the MOBO doesn't have an AGP, I know the Bios of that Board and you have to leave the Graphic option in Auto in order to run your video card where you plug in the monitor. There are not many options, when I have to work with one of this board I install everything from zero, Format HDD and install windows and no drivers for the onboard so install the driver for nvidia, then disable the intel onboard and select (don't prompt me again to install this device) and there you go, or if you can live with the intel hanging around just leave it there as for your graphic card, any card is better than onboard specially if they are intel, but i'm just curious... what kind of games you wanna play? sounds to me like normal puzzle or some emulator, because that card won't be able to run high end games. Good luck and let us know if there something more we can do to help. BTW! your PSU is also an issue like twite said, dell PSU's have very bad effiency, so even for that card maybe PSU will not have enough juice.

Barrock2 said:
When I disable it under hardware, it somehow still manages to run. Everytime I remove it, it re-installs installs itself. All my games have much better graphics, but they are EXTREAMLY laggy.

Have you disabled just the monitor for integrated graphics in desktop properties?

Is the GeForce card set as the primary adapter?

when I have to work with one of this board I install everything from zero, Format HDD and install windows and no drivers for the onboard so install the driver for nvidia, then disable the intel onboard and select (don't prompt me again to install this device)

Wow, thanks for your help =]. I'm glad to find someone who had similar problems.

But Are you telling me to wipe my hard drive and then re-install windows?

Or to just disable the intel onboard. And I can't find where to select "don't prompt me again to install this device".

Do I have to uninstall the Intel Drivers? NVIDIA Says I must uninstall any other graphic drivers. But like I said before, Intel's just pop back up.

And I'm glad to hear the card was worth my purchase.

As for games I'm not playing anything too high-end. Halo with all qualities set to lowest as possible, Age of Empires, Warcraft - that type of thing.

Have you disabled just the monitor for integrated graphics in desktop properties?

Is the GeForce card set as the primary adapter?

In Display Properties it says my NVIDIA is the current display if thats what you mean.

I don't see anywhere to disable it in desktop properties.

Everything is still laggy as hell =[

Edit: About the power supply, I wasn't 100% sure if I had 200watts, it was something I remember from purchasing it.
I opened my case to double check and found nothing, nowhere on the PSU does it say how much.

Sorry to be such a pain to help =p

Barrock2 said:
Are you telling me to wipe my hard drive and then re-install windows?

Yes, That is one option to get rid of intel onboard graphics and some other problems you might have like slow start up, but is not necessary, which leads me to...

Barrock2 said:
Do I have to uninstall the Intel Drivers? NVIDIA Says I must uninstall any other graphic drivers. But like I said before, Intel's just pop back up.

Definitely!!, if intel keeps popping up it's because it wasn't completely uninstalled, remove all the intel programs you have on control panel, as a suggestion I will start removing all the graphics drivers, even the nvidia you already installed until you completely get rid of the intel, then reinstall the nvidia ones.

when you remove everything and the add/remove wizard pop-up trying to install the intel graphics click cancel and then you'll get the option "don't prompt me to add this hardware again". If it installs automatically it means that the intel drivers are still on your computer

I can only find one Intel Driver, and after I removed it pops back up.

I tried uninstalling it under system > hardware then checking
add/remove but all it does it remove the same driver.

One driver, it always comes back.

Nothing else in add/remove is related or has intel in their name except
for a driver for networks or something, which I also removed.

Any other ideas?

Have a look at the driver files for it in device manager and see what the driver is called the take a look in the windows\inf directory and see if you can find the .inf file for the driver then delete it!! That should stop windows from installing it automatically!!!!

I tried calling dell.

An hour on the phone and nothing got fixed.

But I did find out its not my power, I have 250 Watt PSU.

I also learnt that its impossible to remove the intel drivers. He said there is no way to and I shouldn't have to.

Anyways, the next day I fixed it myself.

I uninstalled NVIDIA drivers, removed the card, then enabled intel - so it was like what it was before. Then I rebooted, disabled Intel, shut it down, then re-installed the card.

Now everything was fixed.

My problem was that when I installed the NVIDIA drivers Intel was still running because I had tried to uninstall it rather then disable it. NVIDIA got installed while Intel was still there, so no matter what it wouldn't work properly.

Thanks for your help everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back