Intel launches new Skylake processors for laptops, desktops and more

Scorpus

Staff member

Intel has officially unveiled their full line-up of Skylake sixth-generation Core processors today, spanning a range of product categories from performance desktops to low-power compute sticks.

As is typically the case for Intel's consumer-focused launches, the company hasn't yet divulged model numbers or specifications for all of their Skylake products. Instead Intel is speaking more broadly about their new CPUs and what they'll bring for consumers.

Starting at the lower end of the power scale, Intel's Skylake-Y series will be available for 2-in-1 detachables, tablets and compute sticks in a 4.5W package. The company is expanding their Core M branding for these Y-series parts to include several variants, the Core m7, m5 and m3, which will sit at various levels of performance and cost.

Interestingly, Intel is no longer targeting their Core m parts for ultra-portable laptops, instead focusing purely on fanless tablets and compute sticks. With Broadwell we saw a few thin and light laptops, such as Lenovo's Yoga 3 Pro and the 2015 MacBook, opt for Core M parts over Broadwell-U, but with Skylake we expect most laptops to feature the more powerful U-series SKUs.

Speaking of Skylake-U, this is Intel's range of 15W CPUs for thin and light notebooks, portable all-in-ones, and mini-PCs. Leaked slides have already detailed these processors, so we know the Core i7-6600U (2 cores, 4 threads at up to 3.4 GHz) will be the flagship part, with the Core i5-6200U (2 cores, 4 threads at up to 2.8 GHz) likely to be the most widely used SKU.

All Core-branded Skylake-U parts will feature Intel's 500-series HD Graphics, specifically the HD Graphics 520, which Intel claims will deliver 30x the graphics performance of their equivalent mobile CPUs from five years ago. On the CPU side, Intel is reporting 2.5x the performance from the Core i5-6200U compared to the Core i5-520UM from early 2010, as well as 3x the battery life in thinner and lighter products.

Intel is calling their Skylake-H CPUs, designed for performance notebooks, their best mobile processor ever. These SKUs feature a TDP up to 45W, which is a slight decrease on the equivalent 47W Haswell and Broadwell parts, with better power consumption and better performance.

Specifically, Intel says the Core i5-6300HQ is up to 60% faster than the equivalent 37W Haswell-based Core i5-4300M, while the Core i7-6920HQ has up to "60% lower active power" than the high-end Core i7-4910HQ.

For desktops, Intel has the Skylake-S series, covering all price points from budget builds to performance systems. All S-series parts use Intel's LGA 1151 package, and feature TDPs of 91W, 65W, or 35W depending on the part. Two of these SKUs, the Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K, we've already seen hit the market, but there will be more S-series parts hitting the market shortly, including non-K SKUs.

Intel's Skylake-U, H and S parts in their Core i3, i5 and i7 lines have all launched today, alongside the Skylake-Y Core m3, m5 and m7 parts, meaning it won't be too long before we see these SKUs hit store shelves either in boxes (for Skylake-S) or integrated into new products.

Intel's other Skylake products - Xeon (inlcuding Xeon for notebooks), vPro Core I and Core m products, and CPUs with Iris and Iris Pro graphics - are expected to launch in "Q4 and into 2016".

Permalink to story.

specifically the HD Graphics 520, which Intel claims will deliver 30x the graphics performance of their equivalent mobile CPUs from five years ago

They should have compared it to 20-year old graphics, so they could claim x1000 times the performance, from the standard VGA cards, which by the way already could play DOOM, and quite well.

Last edited:
Intel brags "Our best (mobile) processors ever!!"
So what are they going to say about their next gen then... "Our 2nd best processors ever, so stick with what you've got or maybe even take AMD's stuff for a spin?"

It is pretty disingenuous for Intel to offer comparisons to 5 year old products. We all know it's hard business to cram more performance from those nanometer circuits. And the Broadwell delays were not foreseen.
OK. It happens. If they were honest about comparing, they would compare to most recent Haswell and Broadwell chips, not throw in some wild statement about now being way faster than stuff half a decade ago. sheesh.

Their iGPUs in the U series will again probably be substantially slower than the iGPUs in AMD's Carizzo.

Oh well.

It is pretty disingenuous for Intel to offer comparisons to 5 year old products. We all know it's hard business to cram more performance from those nanometer circuits. And the Broadwell delays were not foreseen.
OK. It happens. If they were honest about comparing, they would compare to most recent Haswell and Broadwell chips, not throw in some wild statement about now being way faster than stuff half a decade ago. sheesh.

They pretty much had to compare to older chips this time because the new chips only really gain on graphics and power consumption and are even slower then last gen at times. We're running on 3 generations without a significant speed increase and at this rate ARM processors are going to end up faster.

Their iGPUs in the U series will again probably be substantially slower than the iGPUs in AMD's Carizzo.

Oh well.
and amd will claim "intel 6th gen cpu + NVidia gtx 730" is beaten again by amd Carrizo? :)

Utterly useless benchmarks of comparison, well done Intel. I can't wait for the new benchmarks to start showing up.

and amd will claim "intel 6th gen cpu + NVidia gtx 730" is beaten again by amd Carrizo? :)

Lol, yep. AMD states a 2 fold gpu improvement and a very modest CPU speed increase. What we really have to watch is AMD's upcoming Zen, which AMD says will have massive IPC performance increases.

They should have compared it to 20-year old graphics, so they could claim x1000 times the performance, from the standard VGA cards, which by the way already could play DOOM, and quite well.

Exactly. All they've done is confuse the marketplace because there is no way to judge relative performance. That must mean that their new designs FAIL to deliver, so marketing to the rescue once again. We'll soon see a return to benchmark popularity as a result, Intel stock will nosedive when consumers realize the emperor has no cloths, and generation hype will be finished. Not to worry Samsung will pick up the pieces, purchase Intel, deliver real computing technology in physical designs that will trump Apple, and do it all on Linux for 1/2 the cost of a Microsoft "solution". This is why America doesn't make TV's. Its all about to happen to computers. Don't worry though, we still make weapons and control the banks.

Oh, and will I'm dumping on this "strategy", the dynamic stress on the physical components is going to take its toll. There will be reliability problems. You simply can't run 40:1 thermal gradients and expect reliability. So they will try to average the heat with controlled cooling and some other ticks (they will eventually discover, but I'm not telling) It all reminds me of stuff we dealt with building the rtVAX - lets see, that was almost 30 years ago. The Intel strategy is simple - if you don't understand it, make a firmware patch to hide the issue, and call Marketing for a cover story in case someone figures it out. Invent 30 new acronsynonyms (my new word for today) and even stage controlled "leaks" to mislead the market. This why America is failing. It's Billarytech (my second new word today).

Benchmarks can be rather confusion. They should have a benchmark with about 5 different applications running on 3 monitors. Database application, Outlook, video movie from Internet, and a browser with a couple of tabs open. Most motherboards claim to support 3 monitors. I noticed some of the new B150 chipsets offer Displayport. Will you get higher frame rates on that in 4k?

I am also looking at the new low-end Low priced motherboards that all seemed to come out after Christmas??? What kind of timing is that? Ha Ha Ha.

Back