TechSpot

Intel makes huge desktop-notebook U-turn

By lokem
Apr 6, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seems like Intel is shooting itself in the foot.

2. XYZ359

XYZ359 TS Rookie Posts: 123

Hmm..

I wonder why?

:confused:
  3. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 773

Perhaps their creme de la creme CPUs are using too much of Intel's "creme" :D
  4. T-Shirt

T-Shirt TS Rookie Posts: 329

I think maybe they're getting smarter, They see it's going to happen anyway, rather then fight it, TAKE CREDIT FOR IT!
    They tried fight industry and consumer demand with RDRAM and it cost them market share.
    GO WITH THE FLOW!
  5. lokem

While that may be true, wouldn't that ruin their reputation by doing so since desktop P4s are rather power hungry thus sucking the laptop batts dry faster? It's even hotter I suppose w/o SpeedStep.
  6. XYZ359

XYZ359 TS Rookie Posts: 123

Lokem is right.

Laptops = Portability, Meant to be carried around

Desktops = Power, Meant to sit there

Those are two totally different things.
    You don't want Intel to make power hungry laptops. That basically defies the whole purpose of it.
  7. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

I remember discussing the Athlon MP (Athlon4) in the old Jawbreaker forum, as AMD correctly surmised that the P4 would be a flop in laptops. To the buying public, 4 is better than 3; but those w/ laptop experience know that battery life is key.

8. lokem

Isn't the SpeedStep technology equivalent to that of AMD's PowerNow? If Intel continues to push P4 Mobile, I'm sure users will eventually notice the difference in their battery life compared to that of a desktop P4. After all, a laptop isn't cheap and it's a big investment even for corporations... Unless they loan the units.
  9. lokem

And Intel responds:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.