Intel makes huge desktop-notebook U-turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Seems like Intel is shooting itself in the foot.

Intel makes huge desktop-notebook U-turn

Speedstep turns into a Speedstop?

By Mike Magee, 04/04/2002 11:37:13 BST

http://www.theinquirer.net/04040209.htm

ACCORDING TO A Taiwanese wire, Intel has decided to rip up its roadmaps and its previous promises, and provide technical support for notebooks using desktop CPUs.

The about face, if it is true, is a real turn about, because Intel has always maintained that its mobile processors are the creme de la creme, using carefully designed thermal controls and incorporating Speedstep power management software.

The move will also dent profits Intel makes from the high end notebook CPUs, which are typically several hundreds of dollars more expensive than equivalent GHz desktop CPUs.

Several tier one manufacturers, including close partner Toshiba, are launching notebooks using the Pentium 4 desktop, rather than the Pentium 4 mobile, CPU.

I think maybe they're getting smarter, They see it's going to happen anyway, rather then fight it, TAKE CREDIT FOR IT!
They tried fight industry and consumer demand with RDRAM and it cost them market share.
GO WITH THE FLOW!

While that may be true, wouldn't that ruin their reputation by doing so since desktop P4s are rather power hungry thus sucking the laptop batts dry faster? It's even hotter I suppose w/o SpeedStep.

Lokem is right.

Laptops = Portability, Meant to be carried around

Desktops = Power, Meant to sit there

Those are two totally different things.
You don't want Intel to make power hungry laptops. That basically defies the whole purpose of it.

I remember discussing the Athlon MP (Athlon4) in the old Jawbreaker forum, as AMD correctly surmised that the P4 would be a flop in laptops. To the buying public, 4 is better than 3; but those w/ laptop experience know that battery life is key.

Originally posted by uncleel
Athlon4 is designed for notebooks, using AMD's Power Now® technology to lower power consumption. According to AMD quote: "PowerNow® can conserve power by scaling the cpu's clock speed & voltage to match changing software demands." This sounds like Tranmeta® (underclock to save battery power)

Originally posted by uncleel
I remember discussing the Athlon MP (Athlon4) in the old Jawbreaker forum, as AMD correctly surmised that the P4 would be a flop in laptops. To the buying public, 4 is better than 3; but those w/ laptop experience know that battery life is key.

Isn't the SpeedStep technology equivalent to that of AMD's PowerNow? If Intel continues to push P4 Mobile, I'm sure users will eventually notice the difference in their battery life compared to that of a desktop P4. After all, a laptop isn't cheap and it's a big investment even for corporations... Unless they loan the units.

And Intel responds:

Intel: Just say no

Opinion: Is it the end of Speedstep?

By Mike Mageezer, 05/04/2002 10:58:58 BST

http://www.theinquirer.net/05040212.htm

INTEL'S COMMENT YESTERDAY that a story on Digitimes saying that it would support desktop CPUs in notebook was just "speculation" will be just fine as long as the story doesn't come true.

Because if the story is true, or does become true, all heck is going to break loose when people realise that Chipdolla can rip up its thermal management strategy and Speedstep just because people are buying notebooks with desktop CPUs in them in droves.

Of course the story may not be true, in which case rather than say "we won't comment on speculation", why doesn't Intel just say "it's not true".

This kind of speculation can cause a company a lot of damage in the marketplace.

First, it is an undoubted fact that notebooks using desktop Pentium 4s are far cheaper than notebooks using its much vaunted Pentium 4M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back