Intel Pentium G4560: Kaby Lake's Real Gift

^ Good article. It's stuff like this that makes me read Techspot, not the recent "political focus". The addition of HT to Pentium's has essentially turned them into $65 i3's which really does shake things up a bit. If Ryzen lives up to the hype (and if sales are good), and if Intel keeps churning out +1-2% improvements per year, sooner or later they'll have to have a whole tier reshuffle (ie, something like Pentium = 2C/4T, i3 = 4C/4C, i5 = 4C/8T, i7 = 6C/12T, HEDT = +8C/16C). Given a +$300 i7-6700 is double a $70 G4560 with a clock boost (but costs nowhere near double to make in terms of die size), that's one hell of a premium for what brings +10% performance in 2/3rds of the games reviewed here on the highest tier of GFX most likely to be paired (GTX 1060) and less than half that for the 1050Ti.

Thumbs up for using common sense of what dGPU a "budget build" is likely to consist of (testing 1050Ti vs 1060 vs 1080 on low-end chips is something sorely missing from other budget CPU reviews). My only suggestion for improvement when reviewing low-end hardware, is to add a "Medium" preset chart for the GTX 1050Ti in gaming as that's exactly how most real budget gamers play in reality. Eg, who's going to play Shadow of Mordor at 37fps Ultra when 74fps High gets a quality "loss" of... what exactly for double the fps? A nice 35-80% boost for Crysis 3 for thin air is great too. In many indoor scenes of Witcher 3, the +80% fps boost for Med amusingly looks better than blurry as hell Ultra due to badly over-done DoF turning everything not in the centre of the screen to mush (guy's hair & shirt on the right, wooden windowsill on the left, etc)...

AFAIK, PCGamer.com is the only site that can be bothered to test like this when reviewing low end hardware and 42fps -> 69fps (+64% boost) averaged over 15 games is a nice boost with often minimal visual quality loss. Eg, BF1 64-player on Medium runs nearer 75-80fps on the G4560 (a 60% improvement vs the 45-50fps you tested at on Ultra). Similarly, for Witcher 3, a G4560 will comfortably get +70fps on a RX470 / GTX1060 on Med, so it's clear the 1050Ti is bottlenecking the CPU at the highest presets.

These days pure "Ultra" presets for low-end budget builds are meaningless given many of us turn a lot of the "Smear Your Monitor With Vaseline Simulator" cr*p off anyway simply out of preference (I do not find "Camera Lens Defect Simulator" (Chromatic Abhorration), "Glaucoma Simulator" (Vignetting), "Migraine Simulator" (Film Grain), "Cataract simulator" (Motion Blur), "Myopia Simulator" (DoF) etc, "enhances" anything at all). Likewise, competitive gamers still turn settings down even on high end cards to improve the "signal to noise ratio" (easier to spot sudden enemy motion when there's fewer environmental effects constantly moving about).

Just some rambling thoughts from someone who owns both a "high" gaming rig and a "low" HTPC (i3-6100 + GTX 1050Ti) and who is constantly surprised at what the latter can do once all the "you have the worst and most f**ked up eyesight on the planet" post-processing "enhancement" cr*p of 'modern' games design is removed or at least toned halfway back to reality... :)

Last edited:
However, to everyone's surprise, Intel made a considerable change to its latest Pentium parts. Ever since the original Core-based Pentiums (the 65nm 'Allendale' and 'Conroe' models) the range has been comprised of dual-core chips with two threads, that is to say they forgo Hyper-Threading support.

Things have been that way for 10 years

Uh. The Core based Pentiums didn't forgo hyper-threading because none of the Core 2 chips had it at all.

The Clarkdale Pentium G6900 models in 2010 were the first Pentiums that you could say had hyper-threading removed.

The first Pentium to see Hyper-threading re-added was the Broadwell 3825U released at the end of 2013.

All the Skylake mobile Pentiums had it. The surprise wasn't that Kaby lake had it, but that it took three years for Intel to add it to the desktop chips.

It's ALL about the companion parts, I.e., motherboard, SSD, GSU, etc... And these other parts drive the price through the roof!

It's ALL about the companion parts, I.e., motherboard, SSD, GSU, etc... And these other parts drive the price through the roof!

You can get a H110 motherboard for $40 and a quality SSD like Crucial's MX300 can be had for $90 in the 275GB capacity. Seems reasonable to me for what you are getting.

Intel never give things for free. By recent rumors, I can bet AMD will offer 4C/4T Ryzen for around $100, mark my words. Thats why Intel went so low with pricing, at $62 its unbeatable, this is truly best offer I have ever seen.

It was abouth time for Intel to up the game a bit. A pity we didnt see such jump in all Kaby Lakes range, but better something that nothing. Would be great to see compered to G4400.

For the non-geek, it is possible to replace an "older" Pentium with this Pentium G4560? Like in an older laptop that has a Pentium T3400? That would be kewl if possible.

For the non-geek, it is possible to replace an "older" Pentium with this Pentium G4560? Like in an older laptop that has a Pentium T3400? That would be kewl if possible.
Nope, laptop proc replacements is a no-go.
Edit: In a desktop, depending on how "old" the Pentium is if it's a different socket you would need to also replace motherboard and might also need to replace memory sticks.

Nope, laptop proc replacements is a no-go.
Edit: In a desktop, depending on how "old" the Pentium is if it's a different socket you would need to also replace motherboard and might also need to replace memory sticks.

Thanks. I "hoped" that a processor could be upgraded. BooHoo.

Where are the "i5 is as good as the i7" comments?
I'll tell you where, shoved down their throat.

Now all we need is Asrock and so forth to hook into the baseclock and enable overclocking again like with Skylake and this could be a world class budget buy....imagine it boosted 'just' 20 percent to 4.2ghz.

OR Ryzen to force Intel to allow overclocking on all their parts again. It was probably only due to total dominance that Intel locked off overclocking and got away with it because of no real competition from AMD in the performance CPU market.

Bring back the good old days of the $80 Core 2 E2140 1.6ghz being pumped to more than double that clockspeed and performing like a $300 CPU.

Last edited:
Seeing these benchmarks reinforces my belief I made the correct choice back when I selected my FX9590!
So... I'm really interested here mate, how did you jump to that conclusion from the benchmarks where that proc is not even mentioned??

Ryzen needs to be something amazing to have a chance of fighting off Intel. Was it unintentional that such a gem got past the expensive gates, or is it a preparation for looming battle with AMD and we can expect more price cuts from Intel? Or i3 lineup is getting significant core count upgrade in the near future?

Seeing these benchmarks reinforces my belief I made the correct choice back when I selected my FX9590!
"Rookie" posts just seem to be going to hell in a hand basket.

In another forum ti which I belong, you have blessed us with what is known a, "buyer's affirmation sh!t post".

I'll tell you how this works, your AMD proc has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. But congratulations, you own one! (y)

Have you considered putting that in your Facebook profile? Or maybe tweeting it so the rest of the world can bask in your good fortune?

Have I done something I shouldn't have?
I bought a Kabylake G4560 CPU to build a new computer. But the G4560 wouldn't work without a BIOS update. I used the Skylake quad core processor from my main system to update the BIOS, which went smoothly. I updated to F20 from it's F6 BIOS out of the box.

My new system with the Kabylake processor shows that it is in fact a QUAD core processor running at 3.5Ghz instead of a DUAL Core processor. I'm at a loss as to why it is now a quad core instead of a dual core, but all four cores are working perfectly.

Any comments?

I've also used the latest version of Sandra and it recognises the CPU as a quad core.
For AU$89 this is the cheapest quad core cpu I've ever had.

...[ ]....My new system with the Kabylake processor shows that it is in fact a QUAD core processor running at 3.5Ghz instead of a DUAL Core processor. I'm at a loss as to why it is now a quad core instead of a dual core, but all four cores are working perfectly.

Any comments?
Very often Windows task manager shows a dual core CPU w/ hyper threading as a quad. You'll always get a 4 separate core traces in task manager, under the "performance" tab.

Very often Windows task manager shows a dual core CPU w/ hyper threading as a quad. You'll always get a 4 separate core traces in task manager, under the "performance" tab.
Hey Thanks for the info. I didn't know what was happening. Grateful for the news. Cheers.
Is this why Device Manager shows it as 4 cores also?

My new system with the Kabylake processor shows that it is in fact a QUAD core processor running at 3.5Ghz instead of a DUAL Core processor. I'm at a loss as to why it is now a quad core instead of a dual core, but all four cores are working perfectly.
That's normal. All 2C/4T chips show up as 4 cores in Windows. Same reason 4C/8T i7's show up as having 8 cores. All is fine, it's simply how Hyper-Threading works and how Operating Systems sees the cores.

Back