Intel posts record Q1 results, profit up 288% on-year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Intel's first quarter financial results are in, and the company has posted a profit of $2.4 billion on revenue of $10.3 billion. The chipmaker's income was a smidgen higher than the last quarter of 2009 ($2.3 billion), while revenue fell a bit from $10.6 billion. Looking back further, the latest figures are a stark contrast from a year ago, when the company reported a profit of $647 million on revenue of $7.1 billion.

Intel says it witnessed record mobile microprocessor revenue last quarter, while the average selling price of CPUs was "slightly up." Meanwhile, PC Client Group revenue was flat, Data Center Group fell 8%, and surprisingly, revenue from Atom processors and corresponding chipsets dropped 19% to $355 million.

The company predicts that it will close the second quarter with revenue around $10.2 billion, give or take $400 million.

Permalink to story.

This is why AMD needs to get back in the game. There's no pressure on Intel to compete and they leverage their dominance into huge profits. Right now an i7 920 costs more on newegg than it did when I bought mine a year ago.

AMD really needs to get its new mobile platform into the market. A huge chunk of that profit for Intel was in mobility, there is massive potential, and having some more real competition is always a benefit for the consumers, both in feature development and in pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back