Intel posts record shipments, strong profits in Q3 2014

Scorpus

Staff member

Intel has recently posted their quarterly revenue report for Q3 2014, revealing "best-ever revenue and strong profits" according to CEO Brian Krzanich. The company boasted that they managed to ship 100 million chips in a single quarter for the first time, which helped drive revenue in key segments.

Overall, Intel managed $14.6 billion in revenue for Q3 2014 with profit of $3.3 billion, up 8% and 12% respectively over the same period last year. The strongest gains were seen in the Internet of Things Group, which jumped 14% in revenue quarter-on-quarter. Intel would also be happy with results from the PC client group, which posted 9% higher revenue thanks to strong PC shipments.

Intel also saw gains in their data center and software groups, and would be particularly happy with a significant increase in profit from the latter. 

However, mobile and communications continues to be an area where Intel struggles. The company hasn't seen a significant take-up of their Atom chips in smartphones and tablets, posting revenue for the quarter of just $1 million alongside a huge $1.04 billion operating loss.

This lack of profit and revenue in the mobile space could be due to Intel's aggressive deals and promotions, where the company hands out cash to companies such as Asus to guarantee their chips are featured in all of their products.

That said, strong performance in the PC market, which people have incorrectly claimed has been dying for years now, should be enough to satisfy the company in the short term. Next quarter Intel is expecting revenue around $14.2-15.2 billion, again an increase from the same period last year.

Permalink to story.

The company hasn't seen a significant take-up of their Atom chips in smartphones and tablets, posting revenue for the quarter of just $1 million alongside a huge $1.04 billion operating loss.
Lower the god damn prices.

Their method of getting their newer chipsets in mobile devices has been terrible. Atom tablets and smaller Atom based devices have been WAY more expensive then they need to be. I wanted an Atom based tablet but I got a Quad Core Snapdragon in a 7" Tablet for pennies. The Apple components (A6, A7, A8) and Android powered devices by SnapDragon perform damn good.

It's not that people don't want Atom powered devices, and the performance is great, but you can get devices that give you damn good performance for MUCH MUCH less.

It's not that people don't want Atom powered devices, and the performance is great, but you can get devices that give you damn good performance for MUCH MUCH less.
Except you seem to want an Atom, which is generally superior to most ARM based alternatives, for the same price. I don't know about you, but last I checked better hardware generally comes at a more expensive price point. The upper tier of Arm processors that can more or less compete with an Atom generally have about the same cost. Those cheap tablets you claim that have fantastic performance are great at delivering power house tools like Facebook, the Internet, Candy Crush. The Atoms however, while unable to sufficiently run resource intensive applications like Photoshop, can run those really light apps, like FULL desktop Office, FULL desktop Games (the older variety, but still full games none the less), FULL desktop Visual Studio (for programming, if you want to do it on a tablet that is), Full desktop just about anything, whether or not its practical, it can still be done. Can you do that on your Cheap Arm device? Chances are a resounding NO, so why do you want to buy what is essentially an inferior product, unless your goal and purpose for the purchase was nothing more than to play an "engaging" game of Candy Crush? Oh, did I mention the Atom based tablet can do that too? Maybe its not that the Atom tablet isn't cheap enough, but rather that YOU are too cheap. A funny revelation considering a lot of these people probably have an iPhone, probably one of the most over hyped, over priced devices out there, and probably stood in that queue for days to get one at launch.

Guest from above post again. All the above is true only if the tablet runs windows, not android. Something I find strange to this day, is the fact that people release an Atom power tablet running Android. Such an absolute waste of a processor, considering it can do so much more than Android would ever allow it to do.

The company hasn't seen a significant take-up of their Atom chips in smartphones and tablets, posting revenue for the quarter of just $1 million alongside a huge $1.04 billion operating loss.
Lower the god damn prices.
Is there any room for them to lower the prices as the Atom chips are already being sold at a loss! I think us folks who fork out for i5 and i7 CPUs are being taken for a ride as we are cross subsidising Atom users.

Except you seem to want an Atom, which is generally superior to most ARM based alternatives, for the same price. .
Umm no, Atom based devices have been much more expensive and no I don't want one.

I don't know about you, but last I checked better hardware generally comes at a more expensive price point.
Hi, Welcome to earth!

The upper tier of Arm processors that can more or less compete with an Atom generally have about the same cost.
LOL. Whatever you say.

Those cheap tablets you claim that have fantastic performance are great at delivering power house tools like Facebook, the Internet, Candy Crush. The Atoms however, while unable to sufficiently run resource intensive applications like Photoshop, can run those really light apps, like FULL desktop Office, FULL desktop Games (the older variety, but still full games none the less), FULL desktop Visual Studio (for programming, if you want to do it on a tablet that is), Full desktop just about anything, whether or not its practical, it can still be done. Can you do that on your Cheap Arm device?
Yup.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1751552-intel-has-no-answer-for-qualcomm-snapdragon

In some benches the SnapDragon is actually faster compared to similarly priced/used Atoms.
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ntels-atom-z3580-hold-up-against-qualcom.aspx

Maybe its not that the Atom tablet isn't cheap enough, but rather that YOU are too cheap.
Possibly, I am a cheap bastard.

Last edited:
Back