intel pro wireless 2200BG network card HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem : connection drops in speeed all the time

I have updated to the latest driver for my 2200BG adapter and the latest firmware for my netgear dg834g router but i still suffer drops in connection. This happens when I am playing online games such as FEAR. I will go into a game and for about 2 minutes the ping will be stable at 35-60 (occasionally jumping to 200) but after about 2-3 minutes the ping starts to rocket to 400, then to 800 then into the 1000's region and i suffer from major packet loss. The intel software says my connection is "very good" and power management is set to maximum and i dont have any radio interferences around my laptop (apart from radio in next room which is usually off). Ive tried various "fixes" like changing to g only and changing the channel etc. on various forums but it just doesnt work.

yes i have seen the other thread, but its 51 pages and most of it isnt relevant to me!! Please help me.. im just a poor man trying to get by and this is how i get treated

Do you get the same problems with a wired connection? May be an issue with your router and not the wifi adapter.. A good trick is to open a command prompt and start pinging your router from there (a la "ping -t 192.168.1.1"). Play the game until the game ping skyrockets. See if the router ping times went up too.

Try disabling/uninstalling any software firewalls you have.

Nodsu said:
Do you get the same problems with a wired connection? May be an issue with your router and not the wifi adapter.. A good trick is to open a command prompt and start pinging your router from there (a la "ping -t 192.168.1.1"). Play the game until the game ping skyrockets. See if the router ping times went up too.

Try disabling/uninstalling any software firewalls you have.

i do not have an ethernet cable so i cannot try the wired method.. but about this command prompt thing.. is this the cmd.exe thing? When i typed that in the "run" box, this is what came up and i cannot type anything:

untitled8bb1.jpg

it just stays like that for ages.. nothin happens. Also i checked my connection details in the wireless settings and this is what came up, i dont know if its normal or not but maybe u can tell me if theres anythin unusual??

untitled3ww.jpg

thanks for ur help so far nodsu

cmd.com is most certainly malicious software. Looks like you have bigger issues than ping times.. I recommend a thorough checkup of your computer (see our security forums) before doing anything else.

thanks nodsu after a bit of googling i found out that cmd.com is a worm and i will run anti virus to stop it (althoguh i have a recent version of mcafee on auto protect and it didnt detect it). Also i looked at Intels wireless torubleshoot even veiwer and this came up, any ideas??

untitled2ve.jpg

same card

I have this same 2200bg card and I know it is capable of running better in windowsXP because I use the "Linux live CD" called Kanotix to sometimes run this laptop and it performs flawlessly. The drivers written for Kanotix linux for this wifi card are far superior to the WinXP drivers. Or something in windows is interfearing with the wireless card. I just came across a reason for dropping connections and speed problems, this article by Intel addresses this:
http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back