Intel Processor Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am thinking about upgrading my Intel Processor from a Intel P4 3.2Ghz HT to a Core2Duo processor, but I am confused by a number of things.

First of all, it says that the processor I upgrade to needs to be compatible with the Intel LGA775 socket, which my current motherboard does have, but I checked on my manufactures website and they said that my current motherboard is only compatible with Intel P4 and Celeron processors.

Does the processor have to be compatable with the motherboard as well as the socket it goes into?

Please reply,

Chris

Hi

What is the exact motherboard model you have ?
on your system specs you have it as ASUS, but there are a lot of ASUS motherboards...

Cheers

Yes, the processor needs to be compatible with the motherboard and the socket to work. You can't just expect that if you put a Core 2 Quad into a stock Dell Dimension 2400 and expect it to work. The BIOS and Chipset have to be able to recognize the processor and know how to give it commands. Since Pentium 4's and Core 2's are different on the inside, your motherboard won't support Core 2 processors.

Thanks for the info, I would have gone out and watsed a lot of money without that, I will be buying a new motherboard soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back