Intel Q6600 & MSI MS 7046 mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weslstan

Hello there,

Id just like to know will my motherboard an 'MSI MS-7046' support a Intel q6600 cpu?

Thank you.

It doesn't look like it does. It was hard to find a manual. But I found one and it only "Supports up to Pentium 4 5XX, 6XX and Celeron D 3xx sequence processor." Here's the manual.

Thanks, I just found out that the cpu i have in my mobo at the moment is 775 and the new chip (q6600) is also 775 does this mean anything to you?

yeah... it would fit but I believe, correct me if I am wrong guys, the motherboard would not be able to run it.

Any motherboard with a P35 northbridge will accept that CPU. For the record, I recommend the ASUS P5K and the GigaByte mobo mentioned above. How much are you willing to spend? If you can't afford the above mobos, give us a price range and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks Rage, SO can I just confirm that my current mobo wont accept the q6600 althought it is 775?

My price range would be around £100-£120, and Id like it to be a good gaming board preferably, ideally id like to get the aus striker extreme.

Also the board has to fit the 8800 gts card.

Thank you.

This board is ideal and supports the current Core 2 Duo & Core 2 Quad range as well as the upcoming Penryn CPUs, DDR3 RAM, Crossfire and PCI Express 2.0 as well. It's a coupla quid over your budget, so if you don't mind that, I highly recommend it.

Its out of stock everywhere! So must be good.

Motherboards arent really my strong point so could you tell me whats the dif between the Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 and say.. the asus striker extreme?

Really aslong as it will fit my 8800 gts and q6600 then ill be happy.

The Gigabyte board features the X38 chipset, which has support for Intel's upcoming 45nm Penryn CPUs, DDR2 and DDR3 RAM and all the other features I described in my previous post. The ASUS Striker Extreme has the NVIDIA 680i SLI chipset, which allows for SLI, possible support for Penryn CPUs and is a great overclocker. But as you can see, the X38 mobo is more feature packed so it's the way to go. Both will fit your card and processor, so it's not a problem if you get either. It's just that you'll have more upgrade options with an X38-based board.

But the X38t-DQ6 only takes ddr3 ram right?

Because ive heard its really expensive...

Do you think the X38-DQ6 would do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back