Intel releases a collection of new Skylake and Broadwell CPUs

Scorpus

Staff member

Before the end of the year, Intel has decided to quietly add a collection of new processors to their Skylake and Broadwell line-ups, two of which are for desktops, and six of which are for mobile devices.

The desktop parts Intel has launched, which are both Skylake SKUs, have interesting product names: the Core i3-6098P and the Core i5-6402P. These two parts are similar to the i3-6100 and i5-6400 respectively, although with different base clock speeds: 3.6 GHz for the 6098P, and 2.8 GHz for the 6402P. The 6098P also features less cache, at 3 MB rather than 4 MB.

Intel has previously used a P suffix to designate a CPU without integrated graphics. As these new processors haven't appeared in Intel's ARK catalogue just yet, it's hard to know whether these new parts follow the same naming trend, or whether they differ in other ways.

Model Cores / Threads Base Frequency (GHz) L3 Cache Unit Pricing
Celeron 3855U 2/2 1.6 2MB $107
Celeron 3955U 2/2 2.0 2MB $107
Core i3-6098P 2/4 3.6 3MB $117
Core i5-6402P 2/4 2.8 6MB $182
Core i5-5200DU 2/4 2.2 3MB $281
Core i5-6198DU 2/4 2.3 3MB $281
Core i7-5500DU 2/4 2.4 4MB $393
Core i7-6498DU 2/4 2.5 4MB $393

The new mobile parts are split between Intel's Core and Celeron series. The Celeron parts, the 3855U and 3955U, are pretty basic, while the Core parts (the i5-5200DU, i5-6198DU, i7-5500DU, and i7-6498DU) appear to be very similar to existing parts, except with slightly lower base clock speeds. Interestingly, the new Core parts include a D suffix that we haven't seen before.

These new processors are set to hit the market shortly, and although they're probably not going to make it into your next build, you might seem them in upcoming OEM systems.

Permalink to story.

Now what we need is a good side by side comparison of the chips so the average ***** (that would be me) can sit down and tell at a glance which is considered to be "better". Unfortunately, these days there are so many slightly different chip sets out there, it's hard to tell them apart. How about it Tim? Could you put something like that together for your next article?

Can't get a basic Skylake i7 and they are launching new UNAVAILABLE chips?
There's no tactic or situation which creates the desire to "have and to hold something", more so than it's unavailability.. This attaches to everything from trophy wives to CPUs. Intel knows this, and they're trying to give your life purpose by withholding these parts.

So, don't be ungrateful. After all Chipzilla has done for you, you might at least afford them, and by extension Newegg, some patience.*nerd*

Last edited:
Now what we need is a good side by side comparison of the chips so the average ***** (that would be me) can sit down and tell at a glance which is considered to be "better". Unfortunately, these days there are so many slightly different chip sets out there, it's hard to tell them apart. How about it Tim? Could you put something like that together for your next article?
When you're old like me, you have nothing to do but pour over spec sheets. I've "come to grips with this", (in a manner of speaking), and so should you...:D

Intel hasn't included these chips in their "Ark" info pages as of yet. So maybe they doon't know what they do either. :D For those masochists out there in spec land, here's the Ark homepage : http://ark.intel.com/

You're welcome.

Last edited:
When you're old like me, you have nothing to do but pour over spec sheets. I've "come to grips with this", (in a manner of speaking), and so should you...:D

Intel hasn't included these chips in their "Ark" info pages as of yet. So maybe thon't know what they do either. :D For those masochists out there in spec land, here's the Ark homepage : http://ark.intel.com/

You're welcome.

LOL .... score one for the crabby old folks!

Stay away from Skylake and it's "freezing" issues. I regret ever buying an i7-6700k. Nothing but problems. Read more about it here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2830772/skylake-build-randomly-freezing-crashing.html
Budgetary constraints certainly won't let me buy my way into that much aggravation. For once it seems I don't have to apologize for being poor. I am however, considering a Skylake i3 6300 along with a standard H series board, (probably Gigabyte), along with using the CPU's IGP, and 2133 Mhz RAM. Very mainstream. After 10 pages of your link, (thanks for that, I think), I'm wondering if the lower powered systems are having any strange issues, or is it just the "hot rods", so to speak. Any thoughts or hard facts on that?

As it is now, I'm half-assed considering simply throwing the Samsung 850 Evo I bought for a new system, into my Ivy Bridge i3-3225 system, and calling it a day.. Photolshop Elements 13 is 64 bit now, so with a decent SSD it should zip right along.

Also, from a full reading what each M$ Windows update actually doesw, I was able to avoid the one which, "helps with the installation of Windows 10", and I don't get nag screens out of any of my Win 7 machines. Not one peep out of them, mind you...(y):cool:

Here3's what Tom's hardware had to say about that;
"These endless pop ups started showing up after Windows 10 was released because of an update (KB3035583) pushed out by Microsoft for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. This is listed as a “recommended” update in the Windows Updates manager, but it is an executable program that runs when the PC boots and constantly reminds you that you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. It doesn’t do anything else, so it can be removed without jeopardizing the safety, stability or security of your PC"

And then:
"To do this, open Control Panel and choose “Uninstall a Program.” Then on the left side, click “View Installed Updates” and scroll down until you find KB3035583 and uninstall it. Once it is gone, you won’t get these notifications anymore.

As it is a recommended Windows update, Windows will try to install it again, so be sure to go into the Windows Update manager, right click on KB3035583, and select “Hide Update.”

And the page link: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/remove-windows-10-upgrade-notifications,30818.html

Last edited:
As it is now, I'm half-assed considering simply throwing the Samsung 850 Evo I bought for a new system, into my Ivy Bridge i3-3225 system, and calling it a day.. Photolshop Elements 13 is 64 bit now, so with a decent SSD it should zip right along.

Before I built the skylake system, I put the 980Ti in my older, overclocked i7-920 pc and it ran just fine. Most games are very GPU dependent now. Try just upgrading the video card first before investing in a complete system.

Back