Intel S-series CPUs Power to Performance Comparison: Core i7 4790 vs. 4790S

Jos

Staff

intel power-optimized s-series test core

If you are in the market for a new PC, you're probably all too aware of the huge variety of different CPU models available. While Intel names their processors under the Core i7, i5 and i3 moniker based on the performance and features offered, there are also a handful of different product lines within each of those brands identified by a K, X, S or T appended to the model name.

According to Intel, these letter designators mean:

• K/X - "Unlocked" - the highest-end desktop CPU with overclocking support
  • S - "Performance-optimized lifestyle," lower performance, lower power draw.
  • T - "Power-optimized lifestyle," lowest performance, lowest power draw.

In this article, we want to cover the S-series product line in particular to determine the actual performance, power draw, and thermal differences compared to its standard counterpart.

Read the complete article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bin'd parts with less margin. Meh !

Stick with the non - "S" part and reap the benefits.

Would of expected a lot more optimization than what the tests are showing. That's disappointing.

I was eyeballing a Xeon E3-1231V3 for a gaming pc. Anyone have any thoughts on server cpu's used in desktops?I've been wondering how they stack up against something like a i5/i7 S. Interesting article as usual. Thanks.

I was eyeballing a Xeon E3-1231V3 for a gaming pc. Anyone have any thoughts on server cpu's used in desktops?I've been wondering how they stack up against something like a i5/i7 S. Interesting article as usual. Thanks.
Those xeons are the same chips! They are behaving identically to i7 with the same clocks. No difference. Just mind you, gpu on that particular 1231v3 is disabled. 1230v3 and 1231v3 were really affordable cpus last year, best bang for your buck, like 2/3rd of the price of 4790k.

For anyone who doesnt need a K series and using a dedicated gpu it seems like a no brainer to me. An unlocked i5 vs an xeon (i7) would be interesting. Dang near the same price.

4790..Max Turbo Freq. 4 GHz?
cpu-z states my 4790k has the stock multiplier 8-44.

So all in all, the S series CPUs are a rip-off. They're not marginally slower, not marginally cooler and not marginally more efficient. Meh.

Back