Intel should be ashamed of itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
Intel should be ashamed of itself, this is what Linus Torvalds said at the linux-kernel mailing list. Pointing out that Intel last week launched it's 64-bit processor but not even giving AMD the credit they deserve.

Read More: The Inquirer

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Where does AMD deserve credit?

[I just dont know what they did for intel]

Hell, isn't it obvious? This is their first turn at leading the pack! :D

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Where does AMD deserve credit?

[I just dont know what they did for intel]
Intel failed to develop a good-performing 32/64 bit chip, AMD succeeded.
Intel licensed the tech from AMD and also got a working chip, they give AMD no cred for this.

Intel did not license it from AMD. They reached a settlement where AMD could use x86 technology with a regular license fee whereas Intel could use all of AMD's patent without a license.

Taken from -> AMD compatibility no problem for Intel chip

Because of the details of a lengthy 1995 legal settlement between Intel and AMD, Intel can in all probability create and sell chips that are completely compatible with AMD's Opteron and Athlon 64 chips, which can run both 32- and 64-bit software, according to the companies and legal experts. Intel won't even have to pay AMD royalties if it incorporates ideas from any AMD patents into its chips.

Originally posted by MaskedBurrito
Wasn't apple first to the market with a 64bit chip? Or am i wrong?
I think the first (or at least one of the first ones) was MIPS R4000, introduced in 1991.

From the same article Didou quoted:

Under the terms of the settlement, both companies gained free access to each other's patents in a cross-licensing agreement. AMD agreed to pay Intel royalties for making chips based on the x86 architecture, said Mulloy, who worked for AMD when the settlement was drafted. Royalties, he added, only go one way. AMD does get to collect royalties from Intel for any patents Intel might adopt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back