Intel to AMD: Harddrives Corrupted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchase a new AMD mobo/cpu, along with a new harddrive. I had first put my new harddrive in and formatted it, and put win7 on it. I was planning on reformatting it anyways after installing the mobo/cpu, and it doesn't hurt to try out windows 7 for a few hours. Well, when I got around to installing the new stuff into one machine, I had some problems. First, it would not boot my windows XP install from my old drive properly. It would get about halfway through startup, and get a giant BSOD. Obviously, I decided to see if the same would occur with a fresh install, so I booted from my new drive, and the same problem occurred. I decided to then boot from a CD, and loaded ubuntu, which worked perfectly fine.
Either my harddrives are corrupt, or my new 64 bit processor doesn't like 32 bit installations. I ended up formatting my new drive again with 64 bit win7, and it works fine, but I would really like to boot my old operating system along with configurations from my old drive, and I really do not want to format it.

Any reason why this happened?
Should I just copy the stuff from my old drive, to my new, format, then copy back?

What i could understand from your post is, you tried to boot from your old XP installation (which was obviously done on your older cpu/motherboard etc.). That may work but I don't like it frankly, changing a motherboard is very radical step.

However you can try these steps and see if they help:

1. Get your Windows XP Installation CD and boot from it.
2. It will start running Windows XP Setup
3. Get to screen where it dislays Setting up Windows XP, Repair Windows XP Installation. Choose Repair Option here.
4. It will then show you the hdd partition where your XP installation shoiuld be, select it, and press R.

You may get asked for Windows XP CD Key though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back