Intel to launch 22nm Ivy Bridge processors on April 8

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel is reportedly preparing to launch the upcoming 22nm Ivy Bridge series of processors on or around April 8. The company is expected to release a total of 25 Ivy Bridge chips during this time frame, according to PC makers in Taiwan as reported by DigiTimes.

17 of the CPUs set for launch are desktop models while the remaining eight will be designated for notebook and ultrabook use. Desktop parts include quad-core Core i7-3770K, 3770, 3770S, 3770T, and Core i5-3570, 3550 and 3450 models with prices ranging from $184 to $332. The Core i5-3470T should be available in May for $184. Desktop chipsets on the agenda include Z77 ($48), H77 ($43), Z75 ($40) and B75 ($37), with Q77 ($44) and Q75 ($40) coming on May 13, the sources said.

Notebook processors Core i7-3920Qm, 3820QM and 3720QM will be ready in April for $1,096, $568 and $378, respectively. Other models including Core i5-3520M, 3360M, 3320M and ultrabook-specific Core i7-3667U and Core i5-3427U will be unveiled at a later date. Accompanying notebook chipsets HM77 ($48), UM77 ($48), HM76 ($43) and HM75 ($40) are coming in April. QS77 ($53) and QM77 ($48) are expected in May.

Intel’s Ivy Bridge processors were originally rumored for a March 2012 release, according to a tip from motherboard manufacturers but it seems that Intel (or board makers) weren’t able to meet that deadline. The chips are expected to offer a 20 percent overall performance boost over comparable Sandy Bridge CPUs on the processing side. A reworked internal GPU will produce 30 to 60 percent better overall graphics performance with DirectX 11 and OpenCL 1.1 support.

Permalink to story.

Wtf, new chipsets ? Again ? This is becoming ridiculous. Under the pretext of "advancing" motherboard technology, Intel is shamelessly bleeding us dry.

Bought a MSI GD80 Gen 3 motherboard for my 2600k build back in October so its IVY Bridge and PCI Express 3.0 ready for this reason. Glad I planned ahead.

Guest said:
Wtf, new chipsets ? Again ? This is becoming ridiculous. Under the pretext of "advancing" motherboard technology, Intel is shamelessly bleeding us dry.

Yep, its about money. If they wanted they could easily deliver us twice if not three times (if not more) powerful chips then todays fastest chips. They need to space it out to make more money, how our monetary system works :(

Because it's mandatory to upgrade your platform every time one is released ?

Of course, if you are one of those people that buys every new chipset, you probably deserve/can afford to be bled dry.
Yep, its about money.
The business of being an IC producer usually is

If they wanted they could easily deliver us twice if not three times (if not more) powerful chips then todays fastest chips.
And of course these 3x + CPU's are staying magically within their TDP/heat output specification ? Of course not!, it's not as if the larger motivators in CPU architecture design are low/ultra-low voltage/wattage (desktop), or performance-per-watt (server/ws/HPC). I assume you're looking at Intel implementing a process node that relies on lithography/QA tools that are yet to be built.
They need to space it out to make more money, how our monetary system works :(
It's called amortisation.
Intel has it's own foundry business.
Intel's next fab will cost in the region of five billion dollars.
Retooling for the process shrink after 14nm will cost in excess of one billion dollars for each fab.
Would you think that an increased process shrink cycle on an increasingly more expensive node isn't going to be passed into the retail price? Or is the desktop consumer yearning for 130 watt ten-core/twenty thread E7's for their entry level Dell and HP desktops, that require custom cooling, high airflow chassis, high grade/capacity PSU, and a somewhat more expensive mainboard due to the increased power demand/trace numbers/PCB layers.

Making powerful CPU's isn't actually a problem

I have to admit, the tick tock cycle does seem to be going pretty fast. On the other hand, I do really like progress. Unless you have something you need bleeding edge technology for, if you got a Sandy Bridge, you should be easily set until Haswell or later.

What Intel is doing is maintaining constant progress. Furthermore, Ivy Bridge works with the old motherboards, it just doesn't have all the benefits that you can get from getting a new motherboard. If you don't really need the upgrade... don't get it. Quit complaining, and let Intel do what they seem to be good at, advancing computing technology.

dividebyzero said:
Because it's mandatory to upgrade your platform every time one is released ?

Of course, if you are one of those people that buys every new chipset, you probably deserve/can afford to be bled dry.
Yep, its about money.
The business of being an IC producer usually is

If they wanted they could easily deliver us twice if not three times (if not more) powerful chips then todays fastest chips.
And of course these 3x + CPU's are staying magically within their TDP/heat output specification ? Of course not!, it's not as if the larger motivators in CPU architecture design are low/ultra-low voltage/wattage (desktop), or performance-per-watt (server/ws/HPC). I assume you're looking at Intel implementing a process node that relies on lithography/QA tools that are yet to be built.
They need to space it out to make more money, how our monetary system works :(
It's called amortisation.
Intel has it's own foundry business.
Intel's next fab will cost in the region of five billion dollars.
Retooling for the process shrink after 14nm will cost in excess of one billion dollars for each fab.
Would you think that an increased process shrink cycle on an increasingly more expensive node isn't going to be passed into the retail price? Or is the desktop consumer yearning for 130 watt ten-core/twenty thread E7's for their entry level Dell and HP desktops, that require custom cooling, high airflow chassis, high grade/capacity PSU, and a somewhat more expensive mainboard due to the increased power demand/trace numbers/PCB layers.

Making powerful CPU's isn't actually a problem

Once again, they space out their projects slower so they can gather more money from us, sure we aren't urged to buy it but regardless you get the point. It is our system we are in. This is same in automobile industry, though a different scenario. They purposely make a car which breaks down after X amount of years, normally after the warranty so you need to repair it and pay more money ;)

See Jacque Fresco - Larry King Interview, actually highlights this debate near the end.

Once again, they space out their projects slower so they can gather more money from us

No, Intel just wants to keep progress going unlike AMD which took years to make a new architecture, only to have it flop.

If you're not happy with how technology progresses and you feel like you're getting shafted by Intel, then maybe shoot should quit using computers altogether. In other words, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I actually put money for my next pc upgrade in an account and marked it 2013. I'd even go as far to say that my 960 would have lasted that long, but my brother uses CAD on my pc every so often so he gave me half the money for my 980.

2-3 sockets per upgrade for me, and anyone doing anything from gaming to production work can't really argue with the progress intel has made as far as socket types.

Back