Intel updates NUC lineup with Broadwell chips, swappable lids

Jos

Staff

Small form factor computers are getting their fair share of attention at this year’s CES and Intel isn’t passing on their opportunity to show their own. The company took a bunch of new NUCs to Las Vegas, packing fifth-generation Core processors (Broadwell) with upgraded integrated graphics, which will reportedly deliver up to 40% faster performance than before.

There are two different models and each will be available in different configurations. Models that end with RYH come with a SATA connector and room for a 2.5-inch HDD or SSD, while those ending with RYK are shorter and only use M.2-based storage.

The first batch arriving in February include the NUC5i3RYH and NUC5i3RYK with Intel Core i3-5010U processors and Intel HD 5500 graphics. In terms of connectivity you get one Mini HDMI 1.4a port and one Mini DisplayPort 1.2 each, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, four USB 3.0 ports (one charging capable), and support for up to 16GB of DDR3L RAM.

These will be followed in March by the NUC5i5RYH and NUC5i5RYK, featuring Core i5-5250U processors and Intel HD 6000 graphics, while a Core i7 variant will arrive in April but will be limited to the taller ‘RYH’ chassis.

Compared to the previous generation NUCs, the new Broadwell-based models are a bit slimmer, but they also introduce a new interchangeable lid feature for extra functionality. Intel showed off a couple on the CES show floor, including a Hauppage lid with a built in TV tuner, and an NFC-equipped unit that could be used in payment systems or other interactions with smartphones and tablets.

There's no word on pricing at this point.

Permalink to story.

Back