• Intel

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • AMD

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Others

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

CMH

Given that it says explicitly that you CAN make an Intel vs AMD thread here, I'll make one :D

But its not solely Intel vs AMD, but there's an "others" section.

p.s, new macs are Intel, they run Core2Duos...

My dad was tryin to buy me a mac, I'd rather use it for a boat anchor than run mac os. I hear you can put windows on it. My room mate told me this trying to indirectly move me over to the mac side.

Intel all the way right now. Nothing can beat a Core 2 Duo :D

But I miss those old Cyrix processors lol :)

Define 'best' please. Do you mean benchmarkwise, pricewise, experience with the product, personal opinion or all of the above?

It all depends on what your perspective is regarding the question. In the past I have liked AMD business practices that have been very enthusiast-friendly, though those seem to have got colder in more recent times.

If it's about CPU of choice, well I'm not a fan of either brand, I just go for the better option and right now Intel is the way to go.

damn, I think my first PC had a Cyrix processor. I am curious as what there is to miss! :D

Julio said:
'm not a fan of either brand, I just go for the better option and right now Intel is the way to go.

I'm actually the same exact way. I'm sure when/if I upgrade it will be amd with one of their 8 core cpus, lol. Then I'll donate this one to the MAWF as I did with my recent amd unit.

this poll question is ridiculously vague...

"which CPU manufacturer is the best?"... the best what?

if you were to ask who makes the best processor, I would say Intel, but that doesn't make them "the best manufacturer".

<begin_rant>
the fact is that up until the C2D's were released, Intel had been producing underperforming (pentium4) processors for years and at the same time convincing the [un-computer savvy] general public that it was the best, most advanced processor money could buy. and sadly, most people believed it. now with the C2D's, things have changed, now they are actually telling the truth when they say they have the best :rolleyes:

now AMD is no angel either, they are no mom & pop store, they are a big corporation too, and if they were as big as Intel, then they would probably be no different from Intel... but the truth is they simply don't [and never did] have the marketing/mass-deception power that Intel had. with that being said;if I was forced to choose between Intel or AMD, I would support AMD for the sole reason that they are the underdog when comparing the two giants.

however, given other current choices I would choose VIA, for one reason because they are even smaller ;) but that's not the only reason; they actually make great processors that consume very little power, and run so cool that they don't even require a fan. they are also are leading the way for sff/embedded CPU/systems; for example, the new pico-ITX form factor is so small that you could theoretically have a fully functional computer that is the size of a clock radio. with advances like this, the giant ATX systems that we know and love will be a thing of the past alot sooner than you think ;)
</end_rant>

so who is the best? well, in the form it was asked that's a question that will be perceived differently by each person who reads it, therefore resulting in an infinitely inaccurate answer. with that being said, I proudly voted for "other" ;)

I did put "best" in quotation marks for a reason. I'm letting all of you decide what it takes for a CPU manufacturer to be "best".

If I were to define it, then we might as well take 4-5 threads, one for each definition of best, which isn't such a bad idea really, but its still best to have all the arguments consolidated in one thread :D

Also, what KingCody said is absolutely true. AMD isn't an angel sent from cyber-heaven. They have millions of shareholder mouths to feed. Our needs, and the shareholder's needs can't really be met at the same time....

Personally, I believe it is extremely important that the CPU business (or any other business for that matter) should have competition. If AMD were to die out, advances in technology such as the Core2Duo, or the K9 series would never have come out. I personally reckon that we'd still all be using AppleIIs if they never had a competitor. And they did use AppleIIs for a damn long time for the lack of a worthy competitor (and a ton of other reasons which I will not mention :D)

I have decided to stay out of the vote.

Back