Intel vs. AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitto

I understand this is still speculation, but I read an article from Rahul Sood reviewing AMD's Phenom 3 Ghz. I am still new to complex architecture of processors, but how do you think the phenom will compare to the EE of intel?

intel has always had better quality merchandise. even though almost all of their dual core chips operate below the 3.0ghz range, they still manage to deliver better performance than 90% of the amd chips out there.

the new chips will perform admirably. but will likely not outperform intel's chips. if anything, i'd be willing to wager that they are now catching up to intel rather. and intel will likely come up with their own super chip to raise the bar higher.

This is the question that is always being asked. In order to really know how the 'Phenom' compares to Intel' you will have to read some reviews. I believe that AMD will lose again. Don't forget that AMD was way ahead before the Core 2 Duo. Now the tides are turned. Today it's Intel And Nvidia.

I have to agree with you pdyckman. Although I might not have been in the era of ATI dominance, if it existed, since then Nvidia has held its own with their 6800 Ultras to their 8800 ultras now. I just skimmed the review on the coverpage of TS. 45 nm, damn, but it is ~$1,200. Im sure the prices will stay stiff due to AMD's lack of something on par with this. Is anyone using a yorkfield core yet? If so, would you mind adding your input, I am very interested if the bang is worth the buck.

link590o said:
intel has always had better quality merchandise. even though almost all of their dual core chips operate below the 3.0ghz range, they still manage to deliver better performance than 90% of the amd chips out there.
You couldn't be more wrong. For a little over 3 years AMD was dominating over Intel by a large money, not by wealth but by CPU performance. It wasn't till the C2D's came out that Intel regained the lead.

As of now. many reviews have compared Phenom to the C2D clock for clock where intel still holds a very slight lead. And due to the over-clocking potential of Intel make them a better deal yet again. But I read that the Phenom has a bug which is preventing it from clocking higher. Whether this is true or not idk. What I do know it that I've read and seen several 2.2GHz Phenoms over-clock to 3GHz quite easily. But selling slightly more than the q6600 which can over-clock even higher and has better clock for clock performance, just makes Phenom not so good.

But than again, if you've got the money, you can get 2xquadcore Phenom which will beat any quadcore Intel, especially in multi threaded applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back