Intel working to eliminate passwords through palm reading technology

By Shawn Knight
Sep 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Intel is actively developing a palm reading technology that they hope will allow users to log into online services more easily. The company believes that biometrics offer an escape from the problems that accompany traditional passwords – having too many...

Read more
  2. Why do people keep so many complicated passwords in the first place? ;)
  3. And how then will you change your "palm print" password after they get released following a hack attack?
  4. Vicenarian

Vicenarian TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 100   +9

You cut off your hand, of course, and replace it with a bionic one :p
  5. Just do like half the people and use "password", no need to remember complicated password and you can share it with your friends.
  6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

I had my palm read in New Orleans, and I'll admit I've got concerns about the accuracy of that technology. Tarot reading on the other hand, now that's legit ;)
  7. Great now when an employee is sick and we're needing a file off a computer ASAP they'll have to in come with grubby palms in and get the rest of the office sick =)
  8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Sounds like bad news for anyone who loses their hands in an accident...
  9. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,783   +639

I'd be worrying that I'd short it out...you are supposed to cross the palm with silver prior to a reading, right?

Louisianan's might assume that Intel's solution has a hidden lightscribe facility.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

This would keep finger print files up to date with local law enforcement. :)
    Coming from someone in a neighboring state as well as having relatives in Louisiana and also being somewhat religious, I find that repulsive. That is nothing more than parents taking the opportunity to fight a school system for trying to modernize.
  11. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

This way of thinking is what scares the crap out of me. Police should never have access to any fingerprint, or other biometric data stored at a school, just for the purpose of keeping their files up to date. This seems like a much more valid argument as to why parents would be against using that technology, because it's only a matter of time before police enter the schools with search warrants to seize the data, and violate the 4th amendment of a lot of kids.

As someone that used to live in New Orleans, I think it's hilarious.
    cliffordcooley likes this.

12. "And how then will you change your "palm print" password after they get released following a hack attack?"

LOL. good point. Victim: "Someone stole money from my bank account!" Law enforcement: "But it was your print that accessed it... your screwed."

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.