Intel's 14nm Skylake platform demoed, mass production scheduled for mid-2015

Shawn Knight

Staff member

intel skylake cpu broadwell idf silicon 14nm intel developer forum 14-nanometer idf 2014

Apple wasn’t the only big tech name to host an event for members of the media today. Less than an hour away in San Francisco, Intel kicked off its 14th annual Intel Developer Forum in which the chip maker confirmed plans to ship Core i3, i5 and i7 processors as 14-nanometer Broadwell parts early next year.

That wasn’t the only big news of the day as Intel also announced intentions to begin production of its next generation CPU architecture in the second half of 2015 as part of Intel’s familiar tick-tock development cycle.

intel skylake cpu broadwell idf silicon 14nm intel developer forum 14-nanometer idf 2014

The new microarchitecture, codenamed Skylake, will deliver “significant” performance increases, better battery life and better power efficiency compared to Broadwell according to Intel’s Kirk Skaugen. And unlike Broadwell, Intel is planning to deliver Skylake across traditional PC markets including high-end desktops.

Skaugen noted that Skylake is coming along just fine in the development process at this stage. To help demonstrate that point, he showed those in attendance a working demo unit. Unlike past demonstrations that used early development motherboards, however, this demo chip was installed inside of a notebook.

The Intel rep reportedly ran a 3DMark graphics benchmark as part of the showcase, a move that The Tech Report believes may hint at the focus of Skylake’s performance improvements. Elsewhere, Skaugen said Skylake is capable of decoding and displaying 4K video content in real time – a useful attribute considering we’re quickly moving from 1080p to 4K (at least in the television industry).

Developers will be able to get their hands on the Skylake development platform during the first quarter of next year.

Permalink to story.

I shall most likely do a rebuild in 2016 (4770k, 780, DDR3 16GB 2.4) atm so should last me until then. I wonder what we will be seeing in the GPU/CPU market and even SSD/HDD in 2016 :3

Can anybody tell me what the 3D Mark score was? It's not in the article! I want an Idea of CPU performance VS Ivy Bridge and Haswell

Can anybody tell me what the 3D Mark score was? It's not in the article! I want an Idea of CPU performance VS Ivy Bridge and Haswell
Since we are predicting benchmark scores, lets go ahead and add the next 3 generations to the list of results.

I hope when this Skylake cpu available it will need a new socket replacing 2011-3

So they will be ready with DDR-4. Seems to me like I'll be rebuilding my computer in 2016 or 2017. Hopefully the prices for the ssd's will have dropped even more =D

Edit:
I hope when this Skylake cpu available we don't need a new socket replacing 2011-3

Back