TechSpot

Intel's 14nm Skylake platform to support DDR4, PCIe 4.0, SATA Express

By Shawn Knight
Jul 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A leaked Intel Xeon roadmap purportedly sheds some light on what the chip maker has in store for Skylake, the successor to the yet-to-be-released Broadwell platform. Chips aren’t slated to hit the market for a couple more years but when...

Read more

2. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,175   +176

Dayum... late 2015??? Hmm well at least decent SATA has a timeline. Looks good.

3. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 418   +42

Not soon enough. Existent SSD's already saturate current tech. Easily. By 2015, the SSD's have had another 2 years to improve controllers and we will likely be stuck with SATA express for as long as we were stuck with sata3 which is like 4 years now. No. 16gbpa is not good enough. Make it 1tbps to be safe

4. Nah make it crystal based computers like in Guuauld mother ships to be safe. Oh wait a minute that is in skyfy show. We don't have that kind of tech yet since christians forbid forward movement in the name of religion.

ypsylon likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,242   +1,549

Maybe so but I'm willing to bet, you will not suffer too badly while you are forced to wait.
    Your an id-iot if you think Christianity stops technological innovation. It has been at least a century, since that has been the case.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +918

SATA Express is exciting. But I think PCIe solutions will still be hard to beat, especially with PCIe 4 on the way. Also, we still dont have GPUs that fully use PCIe 3's bandwidth. Imagine how long it will take to fully adopt/optimize platforms for PCIe 4 looking at the speed of PCIe 3.

7. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,094   +110

the 2014 generation should finally almost saturate it so in 2 years time we might need it for the high end cards (maybe the more powerful dual GPU cards)
    also read this for more reason why increased bandwidth is important.
    anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/10

JC713 likes this.
  8. Even the guys at intel are waiting for game of thrones season 4?

LukeDJ likes this.
  9. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 614   +96

totally Agree.

looks like I'm going to go from my westmere build to Haswell E.

10. Lionvibez

article form anandtech is from 2011 so its abit old.

In 2 years time we will finally have gpu's the require PCI 3.0

currently the only benefit are from high end crossfire and SLI setups.

Anyone on a single GPU which is most of the market is still fine on PCI 2.0

11. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

Well I know when Il re-upgrade my whole system again ^^ Will have what, GTX 980s then? ^^
    (**** what happens when Nvidia passes the xxx series? GTX 1080? ^^

misor likes this.

12. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 287   +50

Can you clarify this point? With "using that manufacturing process" you mean 14-nm? Because in that case it would be Broadwell, I have problems understanding this statement -also because of "first of its kind", what kind?-.

13. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 287   +50

What speed? The electrons traveling almost at the speed of light (<300 thousand km/s)? XD Sorry for the trolling, but I had to take the chance.

14. JC713

Well yeah, AMD cards are hands down the best OpenCL computers. The increased bandwidth will help with increased calculations. Games are not as heavy on computing as pure computing task are. That is why the newer PCIe adoption is slower I guess.

GhostRyder likes this.
  15. JC713

It should be rephrased like this: The Intel Skylake platform will be the first [platform] of its kind to use the 14-nanometer manufacturing process.

Years... xD.

16. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,971   +586

The usual mistake - it should be 16Gb/s.

17. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,332   +805

I wonder if it will be a decent upgrade from my 80's IBM XT...:D

18. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,242   +1,549

I don't know, according to EEatGDL above your machine should be just as fast. lol

19. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,094   +110

The usual mistake - it's 16GB/s for 16x, with 985 MB/s per lane

20. I unfortunately bought my pc when the i7's came out and have a 1366 socket, most motherboards of which have only pci-e 2.0. Found an MSI with 3.0 but when you hear the horror stories of boards catching fire, it doesnt sound like a good upgrade.

With the recent update to 760 gfx cards and seeing my gtx460 show some weak points when turning sharply on Farcry3, I thought maybe I could do with an upgrade. As most I am sure know, gtx 6xx and 7xx gfx cards run on pci-e 3.0. But they do say backwards compatible.

So looking more into it to see if it would be a waste of cash buying a card that may need the extra bandwidth, I have to say many forums were saying no cards use the full bandwidth from 2.0 yet, the 3.0 is too far ahead atm. So I can not atm agree with the need of 4.0 with new cards just yet.
    But if someone wants to educate :)

And thanks to techspot for losing the unreadable captcha things

21. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,292   +547

If they don't take advantage of a name like that, I'd be sad :p because the name alone would be worth owning one lol.
    Yeah, I mean pci-e 3 is taking a slow start and were already looking forward to pci-e 4? I'm hoping in the next generations, we actually get to a point where pci-e 3 is actually very beneficial.

22. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,942   +726

Let's take a closer look at that premise...:eek:

ypsylon and Darth Shiv like this.
  23. Lionvibez

I'm on a 1366 board with 6 core I7 970.

I just recently upgraded to the 7970 Ghz and performance is great. There isn't a huge difference with 2.0 vs 3.0 on this card.

And secondly how would it be a waste you use the card with 2.0 in your current board and when you are ready to upgrade the card will run at 3.0 on the newer board.

24. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Don't forget George Lemiatre

25. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,175   +176

Anyone on single GPU OR anyone who uses both PCIe x16 lanes on their LGA1150/1155/1156 boards. Remember the bus drops to x8 if more than 1 card is present.

Edit: fixed socket pin numbers

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.