Intel's Internet TV project failed because they couldn't secure content deals

By Shawn Knight
Jan 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Intel was secretly testing a set-top box with more than 2,000 employees last summer as the company was sparing no expense to get said box up and running. But as the year ticked by, rumors surfaced that Intel was looking...

Read more
  2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 937   +81

As with music, it seems that video content is clinging on to history and not updating to modern delivery methods. It would have been nice if Intel/Apple were able to secure content deals at affordable rates. It seems counter-intuitive that content owners wouldn't want their content to be delivered on as many avenues as possible. Guess it's all about control and getting top dollar. It makes me wonder how long those MPAA / RIAA dinosaurs will stomp around the Earth before they starve for dollars and die.

I would like to see something like a Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube take over the content provider role and shows those scrooges how to evolve.
  3. The content providers have every right to pursue the most profitable path. They have time since content is not perishable. Whether or not they made the wisest decision, I don't know.
  4. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 518   +73

All those dinosaurs are doing is crushing innovation and progress.
  5. It's time for these companies to be crushed down, with they're ridiculous prices, and forcing us to buy channel packages that no one want's. When a set top box comes that will allow us to pick and record or download what we want will be a devastation to the cable market. Question is when and how long.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.