Intel's third 10nm processor is reportedly called 'Tigerlake'

Scorpus

Staff member

According to a report from financial website The Motley Fool, via PC Perspective, Intel is planning to release three processor families at the 10nm node, making it the second node (after 14nm) to feature three product lines rather than two.

The release schedule for Intel's 10nm line currently includes 'Cannonlake', which is expected to be released in 2017, followed by 'Icelake' the year after. The third CPU family is reportedly called 'Tigerlake', which, considering Intel's yearly release schedule, is unsurprisingly set to launch in the second half of 2019.

Intel is hoping to transition back to a two-year, two-product cycle for nodes beyond 10nm, but as developing these manufacturing processes becomes more complex, a short release cycle becomes increasingly more challenging. In any case, the 7nm node (the first beyond 10nm) probably won't launch until 2020, with a transition to 5nm no earlier than 2022.

In the shorter term, Intel's tick-tock release cycle will be postponed (or perhaps even ended) this year with the release of the company's third 14nm CPU: Kaby Lake. We're still several months away from getting any information on Kaby Lake, as there are still some Skylake products to launch, but these processors should start appearing in the second half of the year.

Also read:

Permalink to story.

If they would delay their tick-tock cycle, then perhaps intel engineers will design a new motherboard system that offers no change to cpu socket but is somewhat modular: you add new modules to motherboard via other sockets to support new cpu tech.

If they would delay their tick-tock cycle, then perhaps intel engineers will design a new motherboard system that offers no change to cpu socket but is somewhat modular: you add new modules to motherboard via other sockets to support new cpu tech.

Intel does that on purpose, they like money,

At the rate Intel is advancing PC processors, ARM will have caught up by 2018. I don't think Intel could make new processor generations any more hum-drum than an at best 5% increase in performance. Skylake has more drawbacks that advantages, especially with this whole windows 10 only debacle.

[QUOTE="Skylake has more drawbacks that advantages, especially with this whole windows 10 only debacle.

I still don't see how there's a Windows 10 "debacle".... there's a big difference between SUPPORTED BY and COMPATIBLE WITH people.... You can still run Windows 7 or 8 on any of the new CPUs.... you just won't get all the new features.... but why would you expect new features using an old OS?

Especially when upgrading to the new OS is FREE?!?!?

You better protect this new tech. China and their spies will try to steal it from you. Those Chinese spies are very effective at stealing. Don't say no one warned you so. If your tech get stolen, within a month, a duplicate copy will be sold by Chinese company and at a much lower price. You will lose all your market share.!! Protect yourself!!!!

I did the Devils Canyon CPU last year NOW there are Very Little Boards for it there GONE. And when I install my Board it would ONLY take W8 so I bought 8 and as soon as I was done NOW they want W10 it was FREE but NOW Microsoft has TOTAL Control of what I do and like Goggle they can SEE everything I DO and what Web Sights I go to. I still have my AMD with 6 cores Buy it will be Years before I do another PC NOW.

but NOW Microsoft has TOTAL Control of what I do and like Goggle they can SEE everything I DO and what Web Sights I go to. I still have my AMD with 6 cores Buy it will be Years before I do another PC NOW.

Um... a bit over-dramatic here... MS doesn't have total control over what you do... and if you just go into Settings and check out the privacy option, you can turn off any offending "spyware" you desire....

And your AMD with 6 cores can't even beat an old i3 for performance...

Intel does that on purpose, they like money,

At the rate Intel is advancing PC processors, ARM will have caught up by 2018. I don't think Intel could make new processor generations any more hum-drum than an at best 5% increase in performance. Skylake has more drawbacks that advantages, especially with this whole windows 10 only debacle.

Can you expand on this statement, "more drawbacks than advantages"? I read that the new i5 SkyLake NUC's iGPU graphics smoke the previous generation's i7 iGPU graphics so....I'm confused. I'm seeing more for less. Or at the very least, more for the same.

As another post after yours stated, there is a big difference between supported and doesn't work at all.

[QUOTE="Skylake has more drawbacks that advantages, especially with this whole windows 10 only debacle.

I still don't see how there's a Windows 10 "debacle".... there's a big difference between SUPPORTED BY and COMPATIBLE WITH people.... You can still run Windows 7 or 8 on any of the new CPUs.... you just won't get all the new features.... but why would you expect new features using an old OS?

Free and Good are not the same thing.

The fact that it's happening is reason enough. Name another windows OS that has done this. Resorting to petty scare tactics, that's microsoft now.

Can you expand on this statement, "more drawbacks than advantages"? I read that the new i5 SkyLake NUC's iGPU graphics smoke the previous generation's i7 iGPU graphics so....I'm confused. I'm seeing more for less. Or at the very least, more for the same.

As another post after yours stated, there is a big difference between supported and doesn't work at all.

Microsoft and Intel are stating that you'll need windows 10 if you want to run skylake. If you don't, you wont receive any support. This also means they won't accept and fix bugs for windows 7 and windows 8 involving skylake. So now you only have one choice in OS for skylake or risk no support.

Second, skylake is more expensive than previous generations. The 6600k is at $260 and the 6700k is nearly $400. The iGPU is better but only means something to the laptop and HTPC users. You're not going to drop that kind of money on a skylake processor for an iGPU bump and a 1% performance increase.

Skylake's PCB is thinner than previous generation and has reported bending under heavy CPU coolers. Intel make skylake as cheap as possible.

Obsolete and currently supported are not the same thing either. Hold back today and be obsolete tomorrow. I'll have no sympathy for anyone, when they are forced to pay for a license. That is if they passed up on the free upgrade offer for any reason.

In the mean time we can all ***** and moan about all the things we despise, I know I will. After all someone has to speak up for those who remain silent.

The fact that it's happening is reason enough. Name another windows OS that has done this. Resorting to petty scare tactics, that's microsoft now.

Microsoft and Intel are stating that you'll need windows 10 if you want to run skylake. If you don't, you wont receive any support. This also means they won't accept and fix bugs for windows 7 and windows 8 involving skylake. So now you only have one choice in OS for skylake or risk no support.

Second, skylake is more expensive than previous generations. The 6600k is at $260 and the 6700k is nearly $400. The iGPU is better but only means something to the laptop and HTPC users. You're not going to drop that kind of money on a skylake processor for an iGPU bump and a 1% performance increase.

Skylake's PCB is thinner than previous generation and has reported bending under heavy CPU coolers. Intel make skylake as cheap as possible.

All OSes do this!! Try running OS2 Warp on a Haswell.... Try running System 7 on a new Mac.... Try running iOS 5 on an iPhone 6s...

Just because there aren't that many OS makers out there doesn't mean that Microsoft are horrible bad people!

And your point about Skylake being more expensive - that makes it easier for you to stay away from Windows 10 if you really distrust it so much!! Just keep your old PC and use Windows 7 or 8!!

And Windows 7/8 will still run on Skylake (and newer CPUs afterwards)... MS and Intel won't officially support them, but they will still work... You can install Windows 2000 on a Haswell if you really wanted to... it WOULD work.... but WHY WOULD YOU!?!?!? It's obsolete!! Same thing with a new PC 5 years from now... Why would you install Windows 7/8 when they are obsolete?!!?

And you are looking at this from the outside in. If you looked at this from the inside out, you might see that this could be for development reasons not PR reasons.

All OSes do this!! Try running OS2 Warp on a Haswell.... Try running System 7 on a new Mac.... Try running iOS 5 on an iPhone 6s...

Just because there aren't that many OS makers out there doesn't mean that Microsoft are horrible bad people!

And your point about Skylake being more expensive - that makes it easier for you to stay away from Windows 10 if you really distrust it so much!! Just keep your old PC and use Windows 7 or 8!!

And Windows 7/8 will still run on Skylake (and newer CPUs afterwards)... MS and Intel won't officially support them, but they will still work... You can install Windows 2000 on a Haswell if you really wanted to... it WOULD work.... but WHY WOULD YOU!?!?!? It's obsolete!! Same thing with a new PC 5 years from now... Why would you install Windows 7/8 when they are obsolete?!!?

You listed only MAC operating systems. See, not only do MAC and iOS target different demographics, they also don't cost money to buy. Pretty huge difference.

You're thinking very narrow minded. Yes, we should all hop when microsoft says so, eh? Let me just go tell that to the banks and the US military, who still use ancient computer systems for many operations. Or how about companies they still run excel and word 07? You seem to think that these older versions are obsolete but the fact that they are still in use proves that they are still more than useful. Not everyone needs to upgrade to the latest and greatest for a false sense of gratification.

You listed only MAC operating systems. See, not only do MAC and iOS target different demographics, they also don't cost money to buy. Pretty huge difference.

You're thinking very narrow minded. Yes, we should all hop when microsoft says so, eh? Let me just go tell that to the banks and the US military, who still use ancient computer systems for many operations. Or how about companies they still run excel and word 07? You seem to think that these older versions are obsolete but the fact that they are still in use proves that they are still more than useful. Not everyone needs to upgrade to the latest and greatest for a false sense of gratification.

Lol... OS2 isn't for Mac, it's IBM's old PC OS.... Name an OS that continues to support it's old versions indefinitely then... Can you use Android 2 on a Samsung S6? Can you use Mandrake 2.0 on a Skylake? Or any other OBSOLETE Linux distro?

Every OS maker expects you to upgrade to their newest version in order to continue to receive support... some are free, some aren't.... I think Windows 10 should get your respect, if anything, as until now, any Windows upgrade used to cost money!

And again, which I (and others) have repeated OVER AND OVER again... your old software/OS will STILL WORK on old PCs no matter what!! Not to mention MS intends to continue supporting your old software/OS on it's current hardware for several more years! It's just NEW ONES that are effected by this... and by "new", we're talking PCs that aren't even for sale yet!

...[ ],...Every OS maker expects you to upgrade to their newest version in order to continue to receive support... some are free, some aren't.... I think Windows 10 should get your respect, if anything, as until now, any Windows upgrade used to cost money!
And I keep telling you, a Windows 10 upgrade isn't free, it costs you your old license. Since you keep repeating about how this wouldn't affect old computers, then it's sort of implied someone is either planning a new build, or a pre-built purchase. In either case, Windows 10 won't be "free".

I also keep telling you, this "free Win 10 thing", is M$ trying to cover up it's major screw up with Windows 8. Even Windows 8.1 wasn't enough to quell the complaints. Now here we are are at Windows 10, the OS with which you no longer have a freedom to choose updates, they will be forced on you, including the reactivation of tracking components

And again, which I (and others) have repeated OVER AND OVER again... your old software/OS will STILL WORK on old PCs no matter what!! Not to mention MS intends to continue supporting your old software/OS on it's current hardware for several more years! It's just NEW ONES that are effected by this... and by "new", we're talking PCs that aren't even for sale yet!
As near I can tell, all this repetition of, "and others have told you", amounts to you and Mr. Cooley. OK, FYI, that's a duet, not a chorus.

I keep telling you, all the nonsense reasons you keep repeating for making this upgrade, pretty much just amount to you portraying yourself as a self aggrandizing hipster.

"Because it's free". Because why wouldn't you want the latest and greatest", and so it goes.

"I've got some bad news for you sunshine" (David Gilmour), Intel has already started screwing around with the chipsets to make it a lot more difficult to install Windows 7 into the new boards.

And all the propaganda your computer is putting out about moving to Windows 10, has been done via a specific Windows update. Which means everyone here that has been whimpering about it, has gotten these notices because they're too oblivious to read what an update does, before they let M$ install it.

And I keep telling you, a Windows 10 upgrade isn't free, it costs you your old license. Since you keep repeating about how this wouldn't affect old computers, then it's sort of implied someone is either planning a new build, or a pre-built purchase. In either case, Windows 10 won't be "free".

I also keep telling you, this "free Win 10 thing", is M$ trying to cover up it's major screw up with Windows 8. Even Windows 8.1 wasn't enough to quell the complaints. Now here we are are at Windows 10, the OS with which you no longer have a freedom to choose updates, they will be forced on you, including the reactivation of tracking components

As near I can tell, all this repetition of, "and others have told you", amounts to you and Mr. Cooley. OK, FYI, that's a duet, not a chorus.

I keep telling you, all the nonsense reasons you keep repeating for making this upgrade, pretty much just amount to you portraying yourself as a self aggrandizing hipster.

"Because it's free". Because why wouldn't you want the latest and greatest", and so it goes.

"I've got some bad news for you sunshine" (David Gilmour), Intel has already started screwing around with the chipsets to make it a lot more difficult to install Windows 7 into the new boards.

And all the propaganda your computer is putting out about moving to Windows 10, has been done via a specific Windows update. Which means everyone here that has been whimpering about it, has gotten these notices because they're too oblivious to read what an update does, before they let M$ install it.

And I (and others) keep telling you that if you're planning a new build, it doesn't matter if Windows 10 is free - you're gonna buy an OS.... whichever you choose, you'll be paying... and since it's a new build, you'd be crazy and/or stupid not to choose Windows 10 - but we already know where you fall in...

WHY MS is offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade is irrelevant to this conversation - if you think that Windows 8 is a fiasco and you're stuck with it, then you should be THANKFUL that MS will allow you to upgrade it for FREE!! If you actually don't mind Windows 8 (with all the patches/upgrades, it's actually not that bad - kind of like Vista after it was fully upgraded/patched), then feel free to stick with it on your old PC - IT WILL STILL WORK!

And I (and others) keep telling you that if you're planning a new build, it doesn't matter if Windows 10 is free - you're gonna buy an OS.... whichever you choose, you'll be paying... and since it's a new build, you'd be crazy and/or stupid not to choose Windows 10 - but we already know where you fall in...

WHY MS is offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade is irrelevant to this conversation - if you think that Windows 8 is a fiasco and you're stuck with it, then you should be THANKFUL that MS will allow you to upgrade it for FREE!! If you actually don't mind Windows 8 (with all the patches/upgrades, it's actually not that bad - kind of like Vista after it was fully upgraded/patched), then feel free to stick with it on your old PC - IT WILL STILL WORK!
If you don't agree with something, it's automatically irrelevant. That doesn't make it so. Crap can all this "we s***", and do your gossiping and back slapping around a stagnant water cooler somewhere in Canada. I don't need a "we contingent" to deal with the likes of you. Get the idea that because you say something it's automatically right, out of your head, and out of my face.

Anything you've posted so far sounds it if was conceived by some brain dead shill for M$.

Now, I've told you before, give the capital letters a rest. They don't give whatever you have to say more credibility. All they are is the forum equivalent of shouting, which isn't permitted.

M$ and Natella screwed up so badly with Windows 8, they had to give Win 10 away. And now you turn around and tell me how "thankful", (no wait "THANKFUL") I should be they're offering Win 10 as a free upgrade"?

I didn't buy into that Windows 8 or 8.1 nonsense, and thus, I have nothing to be thankful for. Now run along to the water cooler, and talk about me behind my back with your little "we"clique.

Is it crazy for me to want an OS where I don't have to disable services and uncheck all the privacy options just to get it to the point where they are only collecting a small amount of data? Is it wrong that I stick to windows 7 because it provides a cohesive UI that feels like it was designed for PCs? Is it stupid that I avoid windows 10 because it doesn't run a few apps that I really like using? Should I be scolded for wanting control over my PCs updates and being able to apply themes?

Is the above not a legitimate claim to keep an older OS vs the blanket statement "I'm going to upgrade because this OS is shinier"?

And I keep telling you, a Windows 10 upgrade isn't free, it costs you your old license.
Why would it be called an upgrade if it didn't require an old license? The value of the original license is irrelevant to the value of the upgrade license. The upgrade is free, because there is not an additional price to pay on top of the original license value.

Anyone saying Windows 10 upgrade is not free is contradicting the facts.

Now as to the idea of signing away your sole when upgrading to Windows 10, that's another topic that can be avoided or ignored.

At the rate Intel is advancing PC processors, ARM will have caught up by 2018.
I'll take that bet. ARM's present situation doesn't look that great in perf, perf/watt, or feature set ( Xeon-D versus X-Gene ARM for example). By 2018 Xeon's will be up to 28 cores/56 thread, have AVX512 to boost IPC, and be able to address 6TB of system RAM thanks to Apache Pass. Consumer use is always low hanging fruit for processors.
It does happen periodically, or all Microsoft's OS's would still have to support 8-bit and 16-bit processors. Sometimes the weight of legacy support far outweighs its usefulness. especially if the installed software base starts to dwindle.
"it's"? You are slipping.
You need not worry for too much longer. I hear CISC is on the way out. Bridge the divide with Android x86.

....[ ]....Now as to the idea of signing away your sole when upgrading to Windows 10, that's another topic that can be avoided or ignored.
And it is indeed a topic being avoided and ignored, but should rather be addressed in earnest. Or is it too much of an inconvenient truth to the Windows 10 zealots in attendance?

And for the record, "sole" refers to the bottom of your foot or shoe. "Soul", refers to the alleged inner spirit of the human consciousness. So sell your "sole" to M$ if you choose, but please have the courtesy to allow the rest of us to voice our reservations about the process.

As DeeBeeZee was gracious enough to "put me back on the good grammar track" (*), I'm just paying it forward.:p

(*) There's a really annoying PSA rap in there somewhere...:cool:

You know, this thread is, at least in theory, about Intel's new CPU release schedules. Awhile back we spoke about me building to a Skylake system. At that point you told me, "it's a good thing you're only interested in a graphics ugrade, because that's all you're getting". Now here you are, running your yap about how, "5% performance increase is plenty". I honest to gosh think you should go back to letting your new buddy squidsley give you a good brown nosing, instead of contradicting yourself, or searching my posts for nonexistent mean secret messages against you, which you seem to think I've hidden in them: To whit:
Ahh so you are assuming I meant 10 years when I plainly said 7, simply because that is the number others are saying. If you didn't add words to what people say, there would be less conflict. If you want me to be rude I can be rude, you seem to be trolling for it.
Why do you always describe yourself, in the way you negatively talk about or treat others? Keep your personal opinions of others to yourself. This is a tech forum not a psychology office. If I wanted someones opinion about my behavior, I damn sure wouldn't come to you. Consulting someone with the same problem would not accomplish anything. Notice I didn't deny having a problem but you must be if you are pointing a finger.

If I post something which is self deprecating, it's inner meaning is exactly the same as its prima facia meaning.

Last edited:
I It does happen periodically, or all Microsoft's OS's would still have to support 8-bit and 16-bit processors. Sometimes the weight of legacy support far outweighs its usefulness. especially if the installed software base starts to dwindle..
However, up to now, (AFAIK or call this a guess), MS-DOS capability certainly has been a part of the Windows OS. That does date back to 8 and 16 bit processors, does it not?

Call me paranoid, but I believe a lot of M$' blurbs, are not entirely forthright, such as not being able to update Windows 7 to include DX-12. "We don't feel like it", is apt to be as accurate. But as I said, that's a guess.

Back