Intel's tiny Compute Stick PC is now available for pre-order

Shawn Knight

Staff member

intel compute stick intel linux atom newegg mini pc windows 10 compute stick hdmi dongle hdmi pc

Intel’s Compute Stick, the impossibly small computer crammed inside an HDMI dongle, is now available for pre-order running your choice of Windows 8.1 or Linux (Ubuntu 14.04).

In case you somehow missed it, the Compute Stick from Intel made its debut at CES this past January. It’s powered by a quad-core Intel Atom (Bay Trail) processor alongside 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage. It also includes 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, a full-sized USB port and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity to make it easy to use with a keyboard and mouse.

The device connects directly to a television or monitor via the HDMI connection; power is supplied through a micro USB connection.

intel compute stick intel linux atom newegg mini pc windows 10 compute stick hdmi dongle hdmi pc

The stick PC is available for pre-order through both Amazon and Newegg. At the latter, the Windows-based system carries a price tag of $149.99 while the Linux version can be had for just $109.99.

Astute readers may remember that Intel originally said the Linux dongle would retail for just $89. That price point was to be for a watered down model with just 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage. It seems as though Intel may have decided against releasing this slower model as both the Windows and Linux versions currently up for pre-order feature 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage.

It’s entirely possible that Newegg may simply have the Linux specs wrong as other retailers are listing the slower model.

Permalink to story.

This + 24" Monitor + Bluetooth Mouse/keyboard combo = garage PC or bathroom PC or kitchen PC
Can put something like this just about anywhere.

I can't bring myself to pre-order one but I will pick it up when the good reviews come in. I'll finally be able to retire the HDMI cord I have strung across my living room to plug my laptop into my TV.

I can't bring myself to pre-order one but I will pick it up when the good reviews come in. I'll finally be able to retire the HDMI cord I have strung across my living room to plug my laptop into my TV.

Similar case here, I'm waiting to replace my ps3 for netflix and LAN media streaming

3-6 months, probably 75 bucks, might get one just as a "backup" computer in case the zombies attack.

Back