TechSpot

Inter-connecting multiple motherboards, is this possible??

By i_need_answers
Nov 25, 2004
  1. Please don't laugh at this stupid question but im just trying the possiblility. Is there anyway to connect two motherboards to combine the prossessing power and memory?? If so is this at all affordable with a $200 budget.
    thanks.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

No, it is not possible with such a budget.

3. i_need_answers

i_need_answers TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 144

how much would it cost

how much would an interconnecter cost. thanks for changing my post I didn't realize it was vague.

4. Didou

Well there are such system used for computer farms & big computing clusters. The hardware used in such projects generally start with prices around the thousands of dollars. It has absolutely no use for a home user & probably would end up being a lot more expensive for such a user then getting a dual-CPU system.

5. i_need_answers

duel cpu?

iv'e never heard of duel cpu's before, is that just a motherboard with 2 cpu slots?

6. Didou

7. i_need_answers

nice

thats a nice motherboard, and clean wirering mine are everywhere. How much would a pretty good motherboard cost that would support duel processers and does it add the processers together or just go alittle faster?

8. Didou

It is a very extensive subject & there's quite a lot of information available on it. A good read is the official SMP FAQ @ 2cpu.com.

If you ever need more information you can have a look at their other articles or even venture in the forums (make sure to use the Search feature before you ask something that has been asked & answered many times before).

9. i_need_answers

thanks

thanks nice article and ill try to research before I ask,thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.