Interesting issue, BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hellllloooo! I've got a somewhat unique issue on my hands here. I have an old HP desktop (used to be my parents) that I'm tinkering with and there are some interesting things happening with it. I'm usually pretty good with troubleshooting (plenty of builds under the belt) but this one leaves me puzzled.

HP pavilion 5000-series desktop
533mHz Intel Celeron processor
256MB ram

Okay so here's the issue: My parents decided to destroy the old HD (10GB) for whatever reason, which had WIN98 installed on it. Besides being old and slow, it booted up okay and had no serious issues. I had a spare 20GB drive from a different older HP, which I am trying to install on this machine. All up until this point is fine, and it powers up okay, POSTs all drives spinning and ID'd in BIOS. The tricky part is when I try and boot from CD. I have various linux boot CDs and DOS boot CDs. Every time I try and boot from a CD (even windows install discs) it will give me "no operating system found". I tried win98, win2000, winXP and various linux distros all with the same result. The boot order in BIOS is CD>floppy>HD so to my knowledge this should be working. I've checked all the jumper settings on these drives and they're all set correctly--and the live CDs shouldn't even need a HD. My gut reaction is that the CD drive is not reading properly, and the HD has a bad install on it. I honestly don't know what is on the HD as far as an OS but I THINK it is win98. My only option is to boot from floppy now, and that requires me to dig up someone who has another old PC to make them in the first place.

I thought about installing this in my car as a "carputer" equipped with 7" in-dash screen (yet to be fabricated) with enough storage for all my music. If it doesn't work, I'll trash it and forget the idea since its no biggie, just a weekend project.

If the floppy doesn't work I have exhausted all the options that I can think of. What the heck is wrong with this??

Start at the start.

Was the cd/dvd working BEFORE the HD changeout?

Did you check the cabling wasn't pulled loose?

Have you confirmed the boot disk works in another comp?

Can you slip the cd/dvd into another comp temporarilly to check it?

CCT said:
Start at the start.

Was the cd/dvd working BEFORE the HD changeout?

Did you check the cabling wasn't pulled loose?

Have you confirmed the boot disk works in another comp?

Can you slip the cd/dvd into another comp temporarilly to check it?

yes

yes

yes

I still need to try this, but if its bad I'm not going to spend any money on a new one

Yes, but I had swapped them to see if it made any difference. It didn't. I also verified all the jumper settings to make sure that they were reflective of the master/slave settings. The BIOS primary/sec seems to make absolutely no difference, seems to do the same thing no matter what those settings are set to. I did quite a bit of fooling around with that before I came to that conclusion.

P.S. thank you for your replies!

Can the computer boot off a USB flash drive? You could boot the PC with a flash drive using instructions from here if the PC's BIOS has that option.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Can the computer boot off a USB flash drive? You could boot the PC with a flash drive using instructions from here if the PC's BIOS has that option.

This is definitely something I will have to try, though I doubt it will work since the thing is so old. Thanks for the suggestion and link! --TC

Here's an update: Floppy boot didn't work, its still giving me the same "operating system not found" message. I've run out of ideas. Even if the CD-ROM drive didn't work, the floppies should. I'm going to create a couple more floppies of different bootdisks just to be sure. darn :(

I would be inclined to try and replace the cmos battery and then boot from cd again.

Failing that, recover the new battery and salvage anything usable from the comp then ...............

DUMPSTER!
:)

CCT said:
I would be inclined to try and replace the cmos battery and then boot from cd again.

Failing that, recover the new battery and salvage anything usable from the comp then ...............

DUMPSTER!
:)

It has met its fate at the dump! Although the motherboard is a cool thing to hang on the wall :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back