Intermittent boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a strange problem, well my brother does. He is running an AMD Athlon XP 2000, 224MB, 40 GB HD Windows XP. When he attempts to boot his comp it hangs. I will elaborate further. When his computer is started it doesn't even get to the point of it powering up the monitor. The screen stays black, the light on his CD-Rom goes green and stays green and it seems to be attempting to read a CD even though the CD drawer is empty. The fault is intermittent and the computer does power up correctly after a while but it can take an hour or two. Sometimes it boots up, gets as far as the desktop and when you move the cursor it turns off. Other times it works fine. He has run a virus cleaner and have checked the system profile in device manager and all seem fine. I was wondering if anybody could has any ideas, please?

Thanks

Dave

Has he added any hardware lately?
If it is a selfmade PC in a case that came with the powersupply included, it's with 99% certainty that the PSU is rubbish (unless it's an Antec case).
Try another, more powerful PSU, before he buys a new one from e.g. Enermax, Antec, Fortron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back