Intermittent loss of internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmouser

I have windows, xp, media center 2002, hp pavilion computer, verizon dsl
for no reason that I can find, my internet connection suddenly is lost. Verizon has checked the system many times, including remotely controlling my computer, and can find no flaw in the connection. do you think the modem is at fault? any thoughts?
msmouser

i have sp2, and the firewall is through norton 360. I get no message, but suddenly instant messaging connection is lost, and that internet page is frozen, if I attempt to sign in on instant messenger (even though i have not been using it), i get the can't connect, and im runs through its check screen, when i press repair, i am in business. sometimes windows will put up a check screen, and self repair what is going on. but the fix is temporary
msmouser

to kwspony about ram

I have loads of space left on the computer, and it can happen when I am running only one program
msmouser

I appear to be having a similar issue. Every night for the past few days, at 9PM give or take a few minutes, I start getting continuous disconnects from the internet. Yahoo keeps shutting down every few seconds. Ventrillo starts to disconnect me and so does online games such as WoW.

It always happens about 9PM Pacific time and lasts until I sleep for the past 4-7 days.

Hazarding a wild guess (I live in the UK, not USA !), the specific timing of loss of connection suggests a problem with a public utlitiy - maybe a power-saving voltage reduction ? This might affect your PC, modem, or the ISP kit.

You could try an accurate voltmeter on your power and watch for 10 minutes.....or am I going crazy in my old age?

Hazarding a wild guess (I live in the UK, not USA !), the specific timing of loss of connection suggests a problem with a public utlitiy - maybe a power-saving voltage reduction ? This might affect your PC, modem, or the ISP kit.

You could try an accurate voltmeter on your power and watch for 10 minutes.....or am I going crazy in my old age?

You might be on to something. My cable TV also had problems lastnight a few minutes after my cable modem had issues.

While we don't knowingly get lowered power, it probably does have something to do with my cable signal in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back