Intermittent Power Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a PC at the moment. Intel P4 3.0GHz Socket 478 CPU, 512MB DDR Intel RAM. When I got it, it had an intermittent power failure problem, more off than on. I eventually managed to get some power to the mainboard and determined that all in all the motherboard was shot. I have changed the motherboard (installed AsrockP4i65G), PSU (350w) and VGA card (all of which didn't work). At first the machine powered and booted up with no problem. I tested the memory with SIMM Tester and that all passed ok. After booting it up and shutting it down 6 or 7 times it has developed an intermittent power fault again. The pattern is, only the power LED comes on, no HDD LED but the machine doesn't boot. I unplug and leave for a couple of seconds and plug in again and it's dead. If I leave for a couple of minutes and try again it powers and boots up no problem.

Before I decide to jump up and down on it, any suggestions please!

Happy New Year by the way!

Hello and happy new year.

What video card do you have? Also, what is the wattage and manufacturer of your power supply?

--kitty

PSU is 350w made by Winpower and video card is Nvidea TNT2 32MB that I have taken from another machine as the original video card went bump.

I'd think it's a power supply, but I don't know; maybe before you go out and buy another one, some other more experienced forum member will have to back me up on that.

I agree with Kitty500cat, it seems it sounds like your power supply.

Try a new one and see if that helps

I have already tried one PSU that I know works perfectly well that I have taken from another machine as part of the process for diagnosing the fault leading me to the conclusion that both the original PSU and the main board were faulty. Both have been replaced.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back