Internal Apple slides point at larger screen size for iPhone 6

Justin Kahn

apple iphone

Some interesting internal Apple slides have surfaced containing a breakdown of possible areas of growth in the smartphone market and could further back up ongoing rumors of the company introducing larger screen sizes on the next iPhone. Several reports have pointed at Apple looking into 5-inch (or larger) screen sizes for iPhone 6, and based on the slides it appears as though that's one of the only possible options Apple has at the moment.

One slide called “Consumers want what we don’t have" dates back to 2012 and shows where Apple feels is the only remaining areas for growth in the smartphone market: devices with displays larger than 4-inches that cost over $300 and smartphones in the sub $300 category. The slides have surfaced as part of the ongoing legal battles between Apple and Samsung.

As you know, Apple's smartphone offerings don't meet this criteria leading many to believe it's only a matter of time before the company takes its own advice and ships a larger iPhone. Sure it's possible for the company to make a current sized $300 iPhone, but as some suggest, it is unlikely that Apple will cut into its typically large profit margins or simply ship a cheap device.

Some reports suggest, the demand for larger screen sizes in devices over $300 has only gotten larger since 2012, and that Apple may have missed the boat. Now two years past, it's hard to say whether Apple can achieve the kind of growth it wants just by increasing the size of the new iPhone, especially with the large influx of competitors starting to fall below the $300 price point.

Permalink to story.

Oh bigger screens now thats what I call groundbreaking, bigger screens require massive amounts of R&D with trillions of dollars spent trying to figure out how to increase screen size. Wonder whats next bigger buttons.

Any indication at all that iphone 6 will get bigger specs or is it just about a bigger screen?....

Samsung and the rest better watch out,Apple might just try to patent the size.

Sorry guys/gals, they already patented the whole patent system; therefore all patents are belong to them! :p

How much you wanna bed Samsung will Sue apple the sooner the iphone come out with the bigger screen?
In this case apple did copy Samsung on Bigger screen and nobody can is not true.

I was thinking the other day about the size of my iPhone 5. It fits in the hand perfectly and I dont think I would want a much bigger screen, but instead better battery life and a higher resolution screen. I would be fine if they increase a tad bit, but not too much.

I was thinking the other day about the size of my iPhone 5. It fits in the hand perfectly and I dont think I would want a much bigger screen, but instead better battery life and a higher resolution screen. I would be fine if they increase a tad bit, but not too much.

Getting some deja-vu here.... back when the bigger screen size rumor was being run out there for the 5, people said the 4S was the ideal size. Although I did actually hear of someone getting a 5 and returning it for the 4S because of the screen size. I wonder if the 6C will have the size screen of the 5.

I have a 5 and it's a lovely size. I've had larger phones (HTC HD7) but there's something about the iPhone 5 that's just right. The weight, the size. I could live with the bezel being smaller to facilitate a bigger screen but I would consider replacing my 5 with a 5s for the Touch ID and faster CPU with the same pocket size and weight if they make the iPhone 6 too large.

Larger screen size? I could hear Jobs is growling (again) from his graveyard..

I can relate to the size of the phone but definitely not the brand but why on earth would you want a higher resolution on such a small screen? Can you really see the difference between 300 dpi & 1000dpi with the naked eye? If you can you're good.

Everyone is different so this is only my opinion FOR me.

I have had many phones in the last couple years. iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, HTC 8x, Nexus 4, SX2, S3, Note 2, Mega, and also couple crappy models that I don't recall. With all these phones I was trying to find the perfect phone. I used to always say "if I could get IOS on a NOTE 2 then then would be the perfect phone". I thought screen size was main draw for me, but after having all these different phones, I have settled on the iPhone 4s. The small screen/size is perfection for 1 hand use. The speed is as fast as any phone I have tried. The camera is awesome. And to me, IOS is flawless. I thought I would love a bigger screen iPhone, but my hands aren't growing, so I will be sticking with the 4s. Maybe I will change my mind if they come out with 5" model, but that I think will be my limit.

I can relate to the size of the phone but definitely not the brand but why on earth would you want a higher resolution on such a small screen? Can you really see the difference between 300 dpi & 1000dpi with the naked eye? If you can you're good.
Thats true. All I really want is a phone that isnt too big, but fits just right and has a nice resolution.

Thats true. All I really want is a phone that isnt too big, but fits just right and has a nice resolution.
Well then you already have the perfect phone for yourself. Although I do like some of Apple's products, it's the company itself I've got no time for.

Back