Internal noise interference with voice messenger with webcam on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all... I hope there's a solution to this weird problem I've got...

I recently bought a new Compaq computer with a Microsoft Lifecam webcam, got high speed internet (cable, thru Comcast).

When I use Yahoo Messenger for voice, everything runs fine-- the person I'm speaking to on the other end has no problems hearing me.

BUT once I activate my webcam for her to view, there's a lot of static, all sorts of noisy interference-- and it's VERY loud! Once I turn the webcam back off, everything runs fine. So my friend & I can only talk with my webcam turned off (her webcam doesn't affect the sound-- she has a Dell Inspirion laptop & we both have Windows Vista).

I moved the webcam off the flatscreen monitor, thinking maybe that would help. Using a different (seperate) microphone doesn't help either.

Using a noise canceller doesn't help of course-- that's for external sounds & I think the sound must be internal. I dunno if it is my CPU or the internet connection, the webcam or what combination of factors are causing this problem.

Obviously the webcam is part of the problem, but I really don't know what to do... Any ideas? Suggestions? HELP!

thanks so much,
~ kiwiwannabe

hey kiwiwannabe.... weird problem lol..... just a question....u have only mentioned that the problem occurs with the one specified person....i'm just wondering if u talk and cam with someone else whether it still does the same thing?? Also is the interference only apparent when voice chat is activated?? I mean, does it make an "internal" noise when ONLY the cam is running?? Please check these 2 things and report back.

Spyder_1386 :)

Thanks, Spyder... :)

I'll set up a trial with my parents' Yahoo Messenger tomorrow night to see how it works for them. (I rarely ever chat with anyone else)

If I only have the voice chat function on, then the sound is perfectly fine on my friend's end. Once I activate my webcam, the noise begins on my friend's end (in other words, the static & high pitched sounds begin before she even actually accepts to view my webcam-- all I have to do is have my webcam on to invite her to view it).

Once I turn my webcam off, whether my webcam has been accepted to view or not, the noise stops.

I am using the mic that is built into the Lifecam, but even using a different, seperate mic we still encounter the same problem.

I'll let you know what the results are tomorrow evening trying it out with my parents...

thanks!
~ kiwiwannabe

Yes, apparently with ANYONE on the other end when I am on Yahoo, once I activate my webcam, this sound interference begins kicking in big time... Its the exact same problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back