TechSpot

Internal noise interference with voice messenger with webcam on?

By Kiwiwannabe
Sep 30, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all... I hope there's a solution to this weird problem I've got...

I recently bought a new Compaq computer with a Microsoft Lifecam webcam, got high speed internet (cable, thru Comcast).

When I use Yahoo Messenger for voice, everything runs fine-- the person I'm speaking to on the other end has no problems hearing me.

BUT once I activate my webcam for her to view, there's a lot of static, all sorts of noisy interference-- and it's VERY loud! Once I turn the webcam back off, everything runs fine. So my friend & I can only talk with my webcam turned off (her webcam doesn't affect the sound-- she has a Dell Inspirion laptop & we both have Windows Vista).

I moved the webcam off the flatscreen monitor, thinking maybe that would help. Using a different (seperate) microphone doesn't help either.

Using a noise canceller doesn't help of course-- that's for external sounds & I think the sound must be internal. I dunno if it is my CPU or the internet connection, the webcam or what combination of factors are causing this problem.

Obviously the webcam is part of the problem, but I really don't know what to do... Any ideas? Suggestions? HELP!

thanks so much,
    ~ kiwiwannabe
  2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 563

hey kiwiwannabe.... weird problem lol..... just a question....u have only mentioned that the problem occurs with the one specified person....i'm just wondering if u talk and cam with someone else whether it still does the same thing?? Also is the interference only apparent when voice chat is activated?? I mean, does it make an "internal" noise when ONLY the cam is running?? Please check these 2 things and report back.

Spyder_1386 :)
  3. Kiwiwannabe

Kiwiwannabe TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, Spyder... :)

I'll set up a trial with my parents' Yahoo Messenger tomorrow night to see how it works for them. (I rarely ever chat with anyone else)

If I only have the voice chat function on, then the sound is perfectly fine on my friend's end. Once I activate my webcam, the noise begins on my friend's end (in other words, the static & high pitched sounds begin before she even actually accepts to view my webcam-- all I have to do is have my webcam on to invite her to view it).

Once I turn my webcam off, whether my webcam has been accepted to view or not, the noise stops.

I am using the mic that is built into the Lifecam, but even using a different, seperate mic we still encounter the same problem.

I'll let you know what the results are tomorrow evening trying it out with my parents...

thanks!
    ~ kiwiwannabe
  4. Kiwiwannabe

Kiwiwannabe TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, apparently with ANYONE on the other end when I am on Yahoo, once I activate my webcam, this sound interference begins kicking in big time... Its the exact same problem...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.