TechSpot

Internet and mail stops working until I restart PC

By Attie W
Jul 7, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Good day everyone.
    I suddenly have this problem for the past week or so and just don't know how to fix it.
    My internet and email will work and after a while (don't know how long), my internet and email will stop working. Here is the funny thing: If I try to open a new browse session or open a new tab, the internet will not work and also if I press the send and receive button for new email, the email will time out, but I can ping any IP address from the command prompt and it works 100%. Also if one of the internet tabs that was open on a radio station that I was listening too, the radio still works, but no new connections can be established either with my email or with any of my browsers.
    Hope the above makes sense.

I removed the network driver in device manager and restarted my pc.. no luck, I have disabled my network adapter and enabled it... no luck. The only thing that works is to restart my PC.

I did the IPconfig /release, IPconfig /renew etc, nothing makes a difference. Also tried static IP addresses no luck. I am connected via a network cable and the other people in my office don't have any network/internet/email issues, so it cannot be the ADSL router.
    I also removed AVG and installed another virus program AVAST.
    What doesn't make sense is how is it possible that I can ping various IP's and receive replies, even the internet radio is working in the background, but I cannot open a new browser tab/session or send/receive new mail.
    The next thing is to buy a new network card or ADSL Router, but I think this is not a hardware problem.
    Using Windows 8 pro as operating system.

Looking forward to a solution for this very frustrating problem....

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

PING verifies that you have Internet connectivity, but the browser and email need the DNS to convert names to addresses.

Next time it fails, get a command prompt and run these
    • ipconfig /all (verify you still have the dns addresses)
    • nslookup google.com
    You will likely see the second one fail to return an address.

Next, we need to run privileged - -
    runas /user:administrator cmd

which will get you a new window and use these
    • ipconfig /flushdns
    • net stop "dns client"
    I suspect the /flush might fail, but forge ahead . .

retry nslookup google.com

Does it return the google address?

Attie W likes this.
  3. Attie W

Attie W TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply Jobeard, I will try the above as soon as it fails again. Thanks for explaining the difference between (pinging) connectivity and browsers needing DNS to convert names to addresses. I borrowed a network card from a friend who owns a computer shop and installed it before I have seen your reply on my post, but I suspect the new network card will not solve the problem.

4. Attie W

Attie W TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok my internet just failed and I have tried what you said: The ipconfig /flushdns worked and as you can see in the image below the second try nslookup google.com worked too.
    I tried the internet and email after that and it works too thanks. So what is the permanent fix?

Thanks for the help this far.

dns flush.jpg

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

Set browser to empty cache upon exiting