Internet and torrents slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveskater

Hi everyone, over the last couple of days my internet has been going slow on my pc. It's connected to a D Link router which is working ok, and it's all set up correctly.

Occasionally the router will crash, stopping the internet and all it needs is to be reset. It doesn't lose any settings when you reset it apart from the time.

I've set up the built in firewall for my LAN IP and everything else that i could think of, but it doesn't really seem to help. Also since the restart i've noticed that my BitTorrents have been avergaging 0kbps, occasionally reaching 1 or 2 k.

Is there something in the router that i missed or is there another reason for this sudden slowness? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Have you tried hooking your computer directly to the modem and by passing the router to see if your speeds improve? The problem may not bee your router. Although with it locking up sometimes and you have to reset it could me your router is starting to fail and needs to be replaced.

The router has the modem built in so i can't bypass it, otherwise i'd try it.

I've never exactly thought that it was an amazing router but i'm not the one that bought it, otherwise i'd get a better one.

thruput is seldom affected by hardware issues; the more likely culpret will be
software eg ActiveX, trojans, keyloggers .....

I agree with jobeard, it may be caused by something nasty.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Daveskater only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

ok, i've been in safe mode most of the day (although i have been at work :D) and here are my ewido and hjt logs.

the reason that hte ewido one is named ewido after is because i saved a report before cleaning and another one after.

oh i just realised that my hjt log is a log file, let me know if you want it as a txt.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

IObit\Advanced WindowsCare V2

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

Awc.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced WindowsCare] "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced WindowsCare V2\Awc.exe" /startup

O9 - Extra button: Run IMVU - {d9288080-1baa-4bc4-9cf8-a92d743db949} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll

Fix all 018-Protocol entries.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\IObit Delete the entire Iobit folder.

Reboot into normal mode, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

This thread is for the use of Daveskater only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

thanks howard, after everything yesterday it seems ok today, but i can do what you've just said in about half an hour when i get home.

are there known issues with advanced windows care? i thought it seemed quite good, but obviously i'm not a complete expert :rolleyes:

i've done everything you said (and installed my new 80mm intake fan :D)and everything seems to be running ok, the internet's working ok from what i've seen so far, apart from it's (the pc) a bit slower than usual shutting down but i did set it so that the page file is cleared on shutdown, which is what i'm assuming the delay is.

Your HJT log is now clean.

Clearing the page file on shutdown, is more than likely the cause of your slow shutdown problem.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

use of torrents and P2P software is dangerous and a conduit for viri. I don't recommend this risky behavior.

hi just a quick post, i was looking thorough ewido, and i've noticed that CTFMON.exe is i nthe startup list twice. i know it's a good thing but they're in different parts of the registry and i just want to make sure i haven't got something bad going at startup.
one of them is in Registry/HKCU/Run and the other Registry/HKU/.Default/Run
sorry for bothering you if it's ok but as i said, i just want to be sure! :)

I don`t think you`ve anything to worry about, but if you like you can post a fresh HJT and Ewido log and I`ll take a look.

Your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Delete all files in ewido quarantine.

Uninstall this.

C:\Program Files\Digital Guitar Tuner

Delete these bold files.

C:\Program Files\Digital Guitar Tuner\Uninstall.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\DJ Dave\My Documents\Downloaded Stuff\Instally Stuff\Digital Guitar Tuner.exe

ok, done :) the installer and unistaller were deleted wen i emptied the quarantined files so it should be all gone.

hi again :D
i don't know if it's malware related or something else but i've ran ewido and spybot scans and they've come up with nothing (ewido only a couple of tracking cookies) but my internet has gone slow again. since last time i've made about 35% free space and defragmented yesterday, but my internet and downloads haev slowed down again. it was ok a couple of days ago after i got rid of advanced windows care etc but then i went into safe mode again (forgo to do something) but then after i came back it slowed down again.

just an example: yesterday i was downloading something at 10KBps and it was uploading at around 30K... it's just a bit annoying and frustrating really because everything was fine but now it's gone downhill again. thanks in advance for any help. oh and even on this page some of the small pictures, e.g. the ordered list button and the arrow and lightbulb pictures, have come up with their alternate text as opposed to the picture.

Post a fresh HJT log and I`ll take a look.

Your HJT log is still clean.

Try contacting your ISP and find out if they`ve been having any problems in your area.

If not, maybe try reinstalling your isp`s software etc.

i don't have any isp software on my pc or any of our pc's because we don't use the modem that they supplied, we use a d-link modem/router that we bought seperately. the internet works ok on my dad's pc but his spec is about 10, 000 times better than mine so i don't know if it's partially just down to my pc being useless, seeing as all i've really done to it is put some RAM in and another hdd.

--

i've just upgraded the firmware on the router to see if that makes a difference, but it might help the crashing problem as well, which can't be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back