Internet Archive posts 2.6 million historical images on Flickr

Shawn Knight

Staff member

internet archive uploads million historical images flickr internet archive old pictures historical images

The Internet Archive is best known for preserving billions of web pages but many may be surprised to learn that its 19 petabytes of data also include more than 600 million pages of digitized texts dating back more than 500 years.

As part of a new project called The Commons, the Internet Archive is bringing the images and surrounding texts of these scanned documents to life on Flickr.

internet archive uploads million historical images flickr internet archive old pictures historical images

While there are more than 14 million total images that will eventually make it to Flickr, the Internet Archive is starting off with a modest collection of 2.6 million pictures. That’s still plenty of pictures to cover virtually every topic and it’s not just the imagery that’s impressive.

Each image in the collection has been meticulously described with information like page number, publication, author, subject and even publisher. And as mentioned above, the text appearing above and below most images has also been included in each Flickr description.

This text is especially important as it allows viewers to keyword search more than 500 years of images. For example, searching for “love” yields a slew of images of cherubs and courtship while querying the term “mortis” reveals the early modern period’s fascination with death.

It’s worth pointing out that images in this collection aren’t from some recently unearthed archive. They’ve been digitized for years but have remained largely out of the public eye – essentially hiding right in plain sight.

Permalink to story.

Well this is what an internet archive, should have in its archives. I am sure most of the webpages are unnecessary rubbish. Do they back up all the Emo blogs ? All of crappy facebook ?

The idea of computers was to stop paper, so millions of books, historical texts, images, etc, should be backed up. Although as many in an office will realise we seem to waste more paper than ever before.
Probably because everyone sues everyone in todays day and age and you have to hand over subpoenas.

There should be a game and film section for Emulators and old school games, old films out of copyright. ( which of course lawyers for Fact Mpaa etc refuse to believe happens)

I agree, this is what archives should be about. One of my hobbies is restoring and reprinting old Posters and Illustrations so this particular Internet Archive is a welcome treasure chest of goodies .
Finding suitable images has always been a time consuming job, and I wonder if, following on from self driving cars, we might soon get self surfing PC's?

Thanks for the heads up!

Back